free website stats program non run issue | Harley Davidson Forums

non run issue

01 nighttrain -after a 4 hour ride on the way home it died on the freeway. I thought it popped a fuse as it has done it before but no--I replaced the fuses all of them and the 2 relays, I hear the pump but not like it used to sound--
do the pumps in these fail ?? bike has 31000 on it thanks for any help

I had replaced the line on the pump a few years ago after it got a pin hole in it--- but this is a different issue--then it would run but stumble under load--now it wont fire at all---
I really cant afford a new pump if it is something else but all things seem to point to the pump wires are all good and connected--relays click when I turn ignition on and sounds like pump wants to go but before it was a solid noise when engaged--now it seems like it is a short squel then stops---bike turns over and has spark but no fuel-----

I suspect a bad pump. A pressure check should show a bit less than 50lbs pressure. Is there a possibility the line you replaced blew off?

if it blew off it would run with out stopping correct??
I am going to pull the pump on Thursday when I go to the bike--had to leave it at a friends house--
are the pumps a issue on these bikes--- it gave no warning and ran excellent all day it was the first good ride on it in a long time----thanks for the help---any idea on the cost of a pump?

More than likely because the pressure isn't building up.

No idea on the cost of the pump and they are no more of an issue than other parts, just the line is the issue.

thanks------ I ordered one-----they said it would be a week----just like HD to not have one in stock----
thanks again for the quick reply--I will repost and let you know the results---it was my first guess----should have just gone with my instints-----------G

thanks------ I ordered one-----they said it would be a week----just like HD to not have one in stock----
thanks again for the quick reply--I will repost and let you know the results---it was my first guess----should have just gone with my instints-----------G

Once you have the pump module and all that stuff out of the tank, it may be obvious what the problem is if it is related to the hoses. If not, you have the filter and regulator as part of all that stuff you drag out of the tank. Dissassemble the module taking the fuel filter and pressure regulator off. Get a small bucket of mineral spirits and a hose that will fit on the discharge of the pump. Route the hose back to the bucket and hook the pump up to a 12 volt battery to circulate the mineral spirits and evaluate the operation of the pump. If you have a pressure gauge, plug that into the end of the hose and reconnect the battery. See if you get close to fuel system operating pressure (see your book).

You should change the filter unless you have just done so (don't know whether that will be part of what you ordered already). If the pump checked out OK above, you can try reassembling everything replacing the hoses with something more robust (I used black reinforced fuel injector hose from O'Reilly's) put it in the tank and see if it works OK. This means that the filter was just plugged up!! But if you want to save time, you might also replace the pressure regulator BEFORE you put all that stuff back in the tank. This will save you having to pull everything back out of the tank if it wasn't the filter. Check it out and see if it works.

If when you checked out the pump, it did not work well or did not put out the required pressure, then replace that. I suggest a new pump, filter, pressure regulator and hoses as above.

Good luck.

TQ

did you check your connections on your injectors to make sure you didn't have one come loose or short out? Sounds like you know what your doing, so I'm sure you did:s

yes i checked all the connections
and when I replaced the line i used some good german porsche line
I just got a call from the dealer now telling me that the price of the pump is 250.00 and not 162.00 as I was told--part # was 62897-01
and now the new #62897-01B
anyone know about this ?

The "B" suffix is the "new and improved" version.

Read more expensive.:naughty

I thought when it came to HD it wasn't "advertised" as new and improved - it was called a enhancement!!!! :bigsmiley20:

Back