free website stats program Noisy tach glass | Harley Davidson Forums

Noisy tach glass

jamesearl

Between 1800-2000 rpm's the glass in my tach (batwing fairing) makes a rattle that bugs me.The colder it is outside the worse it is.I doubt the dealer would do anything,everything functions,it's just bothersome,mostly on deceleration,I'll just have to live with it,unless there's a fix anyone knows.I know it's the tach glass,because if I push on it while it's happening,it quiets down.

It may not be the glass, it may be the gauge is loose. There is a bracket on the back that may need tightening.

thanks HDDon,I went on utube,looks like after windshield screws are out,theres only 4 more screws to remove outer fairing,this may be way easier than I figured.If I can get to the bracket once the outer fairing is off.

took off fairing,removed air dam after it was off,tightened all screws around all gauges,buttoned it up,no difference,went back in tightened every torx and allen fitting I could,still have to test ride it.You have to be careful because so many screws just go into plastic,didn't want to overdo anything.Hope it works,or I'm just gonna have to turn the radio up.This remind's me of a 71 Eldo I had,a buzzing in the dash was driving me nuts,which isn't a long trip.Turned out the numerals showing your speed on the dash were made of this thin plastic that was vibrating.Stuck a matchbook cover in,and voila!

I had a similar issue with a truck I had. I inserted a thin shim between the glass and the housing. The shim was out of sight and the rattle was no more.

I would take it back and have them fix it after spending that kind of money

A thin bead of clear silicone will stop the rattle too if you press the glass down while applying it to get it between the glass and housing. They glue that in anyway, right?

it's hardly noticeable now,maybe this winter.I don't want to be without it for the time they'd have it.We're having some fine weather here.If it act's up again,I will.Thanks guys.

A thin bead of clear silicone will stop the rattle too if you press the glass down while applying it to get it between the glass and housing. They glue that in anyway, right?

Silicone and crimped on would be my guess, H D has had a long running with gauge problems IMO

Back