free website stats program No start after battery change | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No start after battery change

View attachment 19648
Just in case.... Harttoo is making a great point. Your FOB may be causing the issue. Check (FOB) battery, make sure it is properly charged.
No it does not have a fob or security system. FURTHER info; checked all fuses and double checked connections to battery. 12V at starter. No signal at starter exciter with key on and RUN on and start switch. No lights or horn either. Additionally no Green neutral lamp when ignition is on.

No it does not have a fob or security system. FURTHER info; checked all fuses and double checked connections to battery. 12V at starter. No signal at starter exciter with key on and RUN on and start switch. No lights or horn either. Additionally no Green neutral lamp when ignition is on.
Can you check the power at the starter relay with ignition on, starter button engaged?
There should be two power wires going into starter relay. One will be black/red, the other will be red/ black. Simply back probe them. We need to know if power is making it from the ignition switch and the starter button to the starter relay.
We already know the power is not making it to the exciter on the solenoid. We need to determine where the circuit is open. You could use a current clamp as another option. We can work backwards from relay to switches if necessary to find the open.

Also, please check to make sure you have a proper ground first. Use one probe on negative post of battery and the other to different spots on engine and frame. Either ohms setting or continuity. Please post results....

Can you check the power at the starter relay with ignition on, starter button engaged?
There should be two power wires going into starter relay. One will be black/red, the other will be red/ black. Simply back probe them. We need to know if power is making it from the ignition switch and the starter button to the starter relay.
We already know the power is not making it to the exciter on the solenoid. We need to determine where the circuit is open. You could use a current clamp as another option. We can work backwards from relay to switches if necessary to find the open.

Also, please check to make sure you have a proper ground first. Use one probe on negative post of battery and the other to different spots on engine and frame. Either ohms setting or continuity. Please post results....
Will do! and post results.

Had to take care of family emergency so have not had a chance to work on my 05 Road King no start issue. Summation; The battery completely died due to a blown fuse in the trickle charging cord. The battery was 6 years old so I bought and installed a new battery from Interstate. After installing the battery I got no green light for neutral and no turnover of starter. The dash light up solid RED which tells me it doesn't like something. Is it possible I have to reset the ECU or? I have checked all the fuses and they appear ok vis ohmeter. No horn or lights either. Hmmm? Battery checks at 12.7 volts.

P.S. no fob

Had to take care of family emergency so have not had a chance to work on my 05 Road King no start issue. Summation; The battery completely died due to a blown fuse in the trickle charging cord. The battery was 6 years old so I bought and installed a new battery from Interstate. After installing the battery I got no green light for neutral and no turnover of starter. The dash light up solid RED which tells me it doesn't like something. Is it possible I have to reset the ECU or? I have checked all the fuses and they appear ok vis ohmeter. No horn or lights either. Hmmm? Battery checks at 12.7 volts.
Please post voltage at starter.
What blew the fuse on the trickle charger? Do you have any idea? It appears that whatever current spike blew the fuse is also relative to your problem.
Yes: the fuse blew like it should. However, we have to wonder if stray current went into your bike.....
It would help if you post results after testing starter solenoid and starter relay if necessary.
We need to know if the 12.7 volts from the battery is making it through the switch to the starter solenoid. Then we can work backwards troubleshooting to identify the problem.
Sorry to hear about family emergency.

Last edited:
Please post voltage at starter.
What blew the fuse on the trickle charger? Do you have any idea. It appears that whatever current spike that blew the fuse is also relative to your problem.
Yes: the fuse blew like it should. However, we have to wonder if stray current went into your bike.....
It would help if you post results after testing starter solenoid.
Sorry to hear about family emergency .

Back