free website stats program no spark 96 sporty | Harley Davidson Forums

no spark 96 sporty

I'm russ from bpt ohio. my son bought a 96 xlh 1200 sportster. had no spark , tried just changing parts. didn't work. has new coil, new pickup, and new ign control module . good battery.have power to coil. got a meter just not sure I'm smart enough . with all the new parts and power to the coil any guess what it is . thanks

engine turns over great. just checked voltage at coil with ign on, about 3/4 of a volt less than battery. I have voltage on the pink wires and also on the white wire . crank over and recheck still have voltage on both wires. shouldn't 1 be hot always and the other a trigger of some sort to tell when to fire ?

engine turns over great. just checked voltage at coil with ign on, about 3/4 of a volt less than battery. I have voltage on the pink wires and also on the white wire . crank over and recheck still have voltage on both wires. shouldn't 1 be hot always and the other a trigger of some sort to tell when to fire ?
removed coil,using meter between wh/blk wire and batt neg I have close to bat voltage . flip kill switch and have none , so kill seems to work. meter between pink wires and batt neg I have 2.7 volts and when cranked it goes to 3.2 .

disconnected coil and ran continuity check on pink wire from cdi to coil connection , had none . jumped new wire from cdi to coil and it runs. cut pink wire from coil end of harness and from cdi and ran new wire still runs . connected pink wire from harness to coil , for tach. still runs but tach doesn't work . any ideas . thanks.

removed lid (not sure what to call it) over headlight to gain access to plug in harness with tach wires in it. unplugged connector and removed other end of pink wire from coil. checked continuity from pink wire pin in harness to eyelet for coil, had none. cut wire at plug by headlight , solder and shrink tube new wire and run to coil. connect battery back up and start bike,it runs and the tach works. ok, this is where I'm at in my head.,hard for me to accept that wire went bad from tach to cdi box . they run opposite directions in factory harness , one to tach and the other to cdi , the only thing i see in common is where they hook up to coil. I spent hours yesterday looking at wire diagrams online, I didn't see anything else in the circuit (pink wire) . goes from cdi to coil and another from coil to tach. I'm not willing to cut the factory wire loom to see for sure. bike stopped running for P.O. he changed coil and thats where I came in 2 yrs later . I'm hoping someone smarter than me can tell me if I eliminated something and if so what it is/does .

If you don't want to bypass the original wire.
Inspect the wire ends, we often find the wire breaks inside the plastic sheath at the crimp.
Also be sure a sure didn't get pulled from a harness connector.
Use an ohm meter and start with end to end test.
Than move an inch from the connector,
One at a time by pushing a straight pin into the wire so it is a small hole.
When repairs are done you can use liquid tape or a good sealer on these holes.
If still no continuity you will need to inspect the wire wire harness from end to end for a break or a sharp bend that over time can break the wire but not the sheathing.

Back