free website stats program No Return Ticket – Just a Ride Report /w Pics | Page 25 | Harley Davidson Forums

No Return Ticket – Just a Ride Report /w Pics

Near Mc Allen I find a cheap hotel. I need to decide on my next course of action. I’m not sure what to do now. My first thought is to park the rig here at the hotel while I go across the border on foot. Across the border I can find someone who will drive out and tow the motorcycle 70 miles back to the border. At the border I can push it across. Then I will have to come back across into Mexico with my truck to retrieve all our gear. It can be done. When we first broke down in this area we received an offer for help from an AdvRider so I thought I would go on-line again. I went on-line and sent out the word “Help. If anyone lives near Mc Allen TX and has a vehicle with a trailer hitch and is willing to pick me and my trailer up and drive into Mexico 70 miles to pick up the cavebike please give me a call.” I thought, ‘yeah right’, ‘No Way’. It’s a great thought but I’m preparing to be on the road on foot tomorrow morning hiking across the border into Mexico. 6 hours later when I went on-line I had two phone numbers from advrider.com inmates. I call an inmate, papajoe. He gives me Don’s number who lives in the area. Don said over the phone that he will be over with his truck in 20 minutes. I Can Not Believe This Is Happening. I look outside the hotel window for a reality check. Why am I so lucky? Why are people so nice?

Don is at the hotel in no time. We hook up my motorcycle trailer and are off to Mexico. Don has never cleared a vehicle into Mexico before and is excited for the adventure. What a great guy. Customs was a breeze and the lines were short. I’m driving and I get us lost in downtown Reynosa for a while. Don says “I think were heading north now” He was right. I finally put it into park at a stop light and asked a taxi driver in front of us where the road to Cuidad Victoria is. He gives me good instructions and we get back on track.

The ride into Mexico was uneventful. We find the driveway to the ranch without a problem. Emanuel’s son and grandson greet us right away near the barn and help us with the bike. We get the motorcycle loaded on in no time. The younger kid really likes the motorcycle. I said “si, bien. chicas gusta mucha hombres con moto” (Yes, for sure. Girls really like dudes with a bike) Everyone got it and we all had a good laugh.
341902887_uKuUT-L.jpg

Emanuel goes inside the house and gets a photo of his father. His father originally started this ranch. He is very proud of his father, his ranch and his family. What a fortunate place for our breakdown to happen.
341903019_QHAHR-L.jpg

This is a photo of Emanuel’s father at 102 years old. Wow!
341903125_cj9Lz-M.jpg

What a pleasant family. We enjoyed a nice long talk in Spanish and were invited back to the ranch, and they meant it.
341903274_v4oNt-M.jpg

Back out on the road we look for our buried gear. The newly cut grass concerned me but the stuff was buried too well. Everything was there and dry. I told Don he didn’t have to help haul gear, but he insisted.
341903569_i64cf-L.jpg

We are having a great time.
341903776_Aby9e-L.jpg

Don, what a savior and super nice guy. He is a heck of an adventurer himself. He and his new wife just spent months in Alaska driving and camping all over. Tomorrow they are off on another cross country road trip up north. I feel ultimately fortunate to have met Don and to have been helped by advrider, papajoe. papajoe assured me he was going to find me help and he sure did, on the first try. I can’t thank you two guys enough.
341904033_i53KL-M.jpg

I had the hotel paid for that night but I was just too excited to get going. I have the bike, the sun is out.
341904082_x97Mr-M.jpg

I take off out through flood waters again.
341912316_4M9jX-L.jpg

341912352_2gTbE-L.jpg

The water seemed deeper then the day before. I was stopped by several roads that looked too deep to try or the police had blocked off because of flooding. I drove through a dozen areas like this then finally make enough northern progress to get out of the flooding area.
341912442_zCzos-L.jpg

341912607_WHKwU-L.jpg

Dolly was here.
341912668_4ZxnV-L.jpg

I am off. I have the bike in tow and I am happy.
341912896_NM6mv-L.jpg

I stop in Illinois to see my longtime friend, Jeff. Jeff is into sheet metal and designed the pannier bracket for the bike. He shows me the new parts he’s installing on his 70’ Mustang, Sweeeet!
341913134_Hvo9P-S.jpg

I stop in Southern Wisconsin to see my oldest and best friend Bob. We talk about the motorcycle adventures we had as kids. At age 14 we use to sneak my motorcycle out of the garage at night and ride. Once we were chased by the police and ended up laying down the bike in a field of tall grass to hide. They ran a search light over us but were never discovered. I could go on and on…..
341905391_fNH7T-S.jpg

I had to stop and see my mother, cavemom. 91 years old. This is the woman who bought at a rummage sale the book ‘Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance’ and gave it to me when I was like twelve or thirteen, she knew I liked motorcycles. I love you mom.
341905758_Tj5mG-M.jpg

Heidi and I reunite with nuclear force. We have both been going through so much emotion over the last week but going through it alone. It’s hard to share with others a lot of the changes we go through. ‘We can drink water from the faucet’, ‘stores have everything we could ever want and more’, ‘we speak English all day’, ‘the roads’, ‘the cities ’, ‘the people ‘, ‘ ‘.

Heidi had a nice time with her family waiting for me to pick her up. We are back together and alone on the road. We are so happy to be together but still can’t believe our situation and what we are doing. Our feelings flow up and down. We see other bikers on the road loaded with gear. Heidi talks about our next bike. She always knows how to raise my spirits.
343729309_6NBni-M.jpg

We just completed a year ride through Central America and Mexico.
343731271_XspEL-M.jpg

343736481_vvykF-L.jpg

We are home, mission complete……
343738370_r5qe5-L.jpg

The Ride Continues……………………

OK, here is the story: An Adv inmate mentioned a web site I should check out. Thanks LJC. There I find a junked out 95’ Sportster 1200 on auction with the bidding ending the next day at noon. Wow! I sign up to the auction site and wait for confirmation. I’m on. I say to Heidi ”I could be driving down to pick up a motorcycle tomorrow” I don’t believe the words that are coming out of my mouth.

The bidding went slow and steady and lasted over 40 minutes past noon. 12:42 PM I’m unloading the cavebike from the trailer to make room for the new motor.
346989720_S4Hoi-L.jpg

New cavebike motor. Oh Freaking Yeah!
346986356_JsB6P-L.jpg

346988047_aEqGr-L.jpg

Heidi approves of the new Cave-Motor…….
347029631_wzVx7-L.jpg

The Ride Continues……………….

The new bikes sub-frame is bent good so the title has been ‘junked out’. But, every part on this sweet little shinny machine has 55,000 less miles than the cavebike parts. I know everything on the cavebike works so my first goal is to just swap the motors and get back rolling. I see a lot of fun days ahead adding more parts, wheels, calipers, foot pegs and anything that looks good. The junk bike also came with a Mustang touring seat and cushy sissy bar pad, I can dig that.

I alert a few close friends about the operation that’s about to take place here in a couple days. It sounds like help is on the way. I spend the next morning setting up a good work area. I secure the cavebike to the lift.

348413066_Ef3ac-L.jpg

Hipster tools in just after mid-day. Oh Yeah!
348467361_x3yjv-M.jpg

I check out Hipsters new KTM and Jessie bags. NICE…..
348501799_ZVzTj-M.jpg

Remember that air cleaner cover issue we were having? Hipster tried everything but it still wouldn’t come off. He finally had to cut a plastic post off with a hacksaw blade. What a bugger.
348575608_G4nwV-M.jpg

Cavegirl is helping. She’s holding the biggest tool.
348615257_dgTZF-L.jpg

We slowly take everything off the bike that’s attached to the motor or in the way.
349079057_K769V-L.jpg

Mitch rumbles in later.
349099154_cR3xW-S.jpg

We all take sections of the bike and start wrenching. We are constantly talking about issues and things we may need to know, “Should the coil stay on?”, “Can you see where this tube runs?”, “That oil pressure sensor has to come off!” We get to one last bolt holding the motor on.
348761098_5azVK-M.jpg

Tom and Mitch hold the motor while I lay the bike down to try to drop it out. It wouldn’t drop out the way we wanted but we see now how it wants to come out.
348769406_P84cE-S.jpg

We right the bike back up then tilt the head away from the side the motor is coming out. We all heave at once, it pops right out. This will be good practice for the next motor.
348774901_CdNPk-S.jpg

The sun is low and that’s enough for one day. The motor is out. The cavebike is now ready to accept its new motor tomorrow.
348782009_qDaib-L.jpg

Beers, sunset, campfire and friends A good way to end any day
348783443_e3yaD-L.jpg

The next day we are up early and ready for the day. Mitch gets the fire going while we drink strong coffee and talk about the task ahead.
348799445_A3H6X-M.jpg

It’s like we are taking part in a tribal ritual before the hunt. The sun starts to touch the tree tops while the mist clears. I feel the warm coffee hit my stomach while my mind accelerates. We discuss ‘plans of attack’ staring at the big V-twin. It’s as if the ground is talking, telling us what to do.
348836164_pBc42-L.jpg

#1 we have to put the old motor to rest somewhere. A couple roller bearings spilled into the wheelbarrow along with the motor. With a flashlight we can easily see the stub of a piston connecting rod. Woooa!
348838552_GxJKZ-M.jpg

We start the next phase of the operation. The cavebike moves out and the new junk bike moves in. Everything goes smooth. It’s as if we have all worked together for years. We are taking our time, talking, wrenching and passing tools.
348842484_Y6Exb-M.jpg

The motor pops out onto the ‘bike lift’ just like we expected. Mitch rolls the junk bike out.
348846235_5t2RM-M.jpg

The stage is set. We marvel how far we have come and what we are about to do. Having friends who share similar passions and interests is priceless. We are all having a blast. Heidi says with a grin “you guys are boring”
348851324_ePtMH-M.jpg

The cavebike moves back to the work area. We look at everything ‘real good’. Then ‘one-two-three’ we ease the new engine from the lift into the cavebike. yee haw! Heidi shows up just in time with beer. If this entire event could be captured on a still media it would be art. Like Tom (hipster) said “It’s like we knew what we were doing!”
348856930_Z2yXp-M.jpg

We admire our work and talk about how easy it went in. We did find one wire assembly pinched between the motor and frame. But we were able to loosen the motor bolts and raise it up with a crowbar just enough to free the wire. We slowly connect everything back up, each of us taking a different section of the bike. This is unreal!

348859999_Ksyg4-L.jpg

Everything is pretty much ready for the final ‘go over’ now. Tom and Mitch want to get that old air cleaner cover ‘post insert’ off bad. Hammer, chisel and vice, no go. It’s as if that metal insert is welded to the screw. No biggie, I’ll use the junk bike air cleaner cover. It has some nasty scratches but will work just fine…….
348864955_GzB5a-S.jpg

That’s it. Tom and Mitch ride back home to Minneapolis. Heidi and I talk about how lucky we are to have such nice friends. Tomorrow I will give every wire, bolt and nut a final check. Then install the gas tank, fill the primary case and engine with oil and fire it up, I hope.
350408619_UWGBo-M.jpg

I start putting away all the tools then stop myself. I spread out some wrenches and drivers on the boathouse floor in preparation for tomorrow’s final ‘go over’. I kick back in a chair and stare at her new body. Every mile Heidi and I have ridden together race through my mind. I feel energy emitting off the bike. Tomorrow is going to be a good day……
348867709_Um7gm-M.jpg

The engine fired right up. This motor is the deluxe version with polished aluminum on black. The cavebike has never looked so sweet…... Heidi wants me to put the king-queen seat on while we are home. I Dig This Woman……..
349231310_qurMc-L.jpg

This new engine also came with performance pipes and air box and I’m sure the carburetor jets have been changed. I wonder what my mileage will be now. I take a twenty mile test ride around the neighborhood. OK! The cavebike is back and she sounds ‘Bad’. I’m ordering baffles today but like I told Heidi yesterday while we were out riding “I’m cutting the baffles in half before I install them” ;)
349225931_quap4-L.jpg.

The Ride Continues……………

Glad to see you are all safe and your cavebike is ready for another adventure.
How many miles did you put on the bike during your adventure?

Cavebiker;

Glad to see that all went well with getting the bike & all you belongings.. The sportster looks good. I just gave my 77 iron head to my nephew. Yours is the same color as mine was. Next time your in Central Texas Drop a line. Hope to see some more of your travels. It was a great story...

Dude, that is awesome. Can't wait to read the next adventure. :D Someday I'll post the story about us sailing to the Bahamas. Never made it there, but we still had a blast. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Back