free website stats program no oil pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

no oil pressure

baddog1

i have a 05 road king 16000 miles . only mods are exhaust and air.
lost oil pressure 0 at idle 10 at 3000. any ideas

So this is the same pressure gauge that you have had for some time ?

Did your red warning lite on the console come on while idling at zero ?

Does it stay at 10 or rise and fall ?

There are few things it could be. Low oil level, Bad oil pump, bad pressure relief valve in the oil pump. Bubbie and a some others with more experience than me will come along shortly.

the light did start blinking then she drove it home . oil is full fresh filter.
pulled sending unit and installed my oil pressure gauge.no pressure at idle goes
up to 10 around 3000. drops of quickly when off throttle.16000 miles

If you Wait until motor oil is COLD and Start it, and it goes back to normal pressure, I'd be saying;

IT Is the oil pressure Relief Valve sticking open....

Cold will re pressure the valve fully open and then Maybe, all returning to normal should happen.... Pressure should be above 35# with Cold oil at fast Idle (2000 rpm) on first start... IF NOT DON"T RUN IT....

Let us Know.. 10# is Not enough to run the bike at a load or Higher RPM...

I doubt it the gauge but don't rule it out until checked..

I see this as a open PR Valve, OR a out of tolerance crank causing the pump to break or ?????

TRY the starting COLD and REPORT Back.. Thanks

JUST noticed you said 05 bike... It still may be the above but 05 lets in another can of worms here....

signed....BUBBIE

i have a 05 road king 16000 miles . only mods are exhaust and air.
lost oil pressure 0 at idle 10 at 3000. any ideas

Same thing happened to my 05 RK Custom. Turned out to be the original spring loaded cam chain tensioners breaking up and running little yellow particles through the oil system. That happened at 54,000 miles.

I did the hydraulic cam chain tensionser conversion. Problem solved.

If you check your shop manual, you will find several possible faults that you can try to remedy.

My advice is to clear the problem up before extended riding. If a passage is stopped up or the oil pump is bad; nasty things can happen to your engine.

tried the cold start trick. gauge is in perfect condition. going to pull cam chest tomorrow
going to check crank run-out and back side of cam plate. what are the other 05 worms i should know about

tried the cold start trick. gauge is in perfect condition. going to pull cam chest tomorrow
going to check crank run-out and back side of cam plate. what are the other 05 worms i should know about

The Shoes mainly, shoe material damaging the pump,smaller oil pump and "O" ring can pop loose of the seal, alignment more critical on them. BUT Less problem with the PR Valve as on the newer models (07 and up) UNLESS shoe material gets in there...

Sounds like you have it covered pretty good..

What was the pressure Cold? if you checked... Did it do the same Low oil pressure?

rking_99 had his pump break apart and it was difficult to get it apart..

signed....BUBBIE

If the geroters are okay, the facing on the cam-plate IF Damaged Looking like rking_99 posted on his home page Link to it; Harley Davidson Community

Look here and IF yours looks like this?? Especially #3

signed....BUBBIE

OK cam plate is gone . .004 run-out does not seem like 4thou of run out should have caused that damage . but it is what it is. installing herko conversion
placing the blame on 05 oil pump and (EDIT) design. shoes had normal wear. in side was a little bit more worn than out side. people have got to use better oil. amsoil redline or mobil1
are my only choices. been a wrench for 40 years. don't know everything but i know lots of things. thanks for your ideas. pressure cold was 4 at idle 12 at 1500.

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back