free website stats program No Fire - help needed please | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No Fire - help needed please

Sorry just a bald man having a blonde monent, how about trouble codes, that would tell you if there a coil prioblem or sensor problem.

I had a 2000 FXDS and had the SAME PROBLEM (twice over time)....

I turned off my perfectly good running bike while over in Lordsberg NM. Had a nice lunch,,, came out to start bike and PROBLEMS after further checking it had NO SPARK....

IT STARTED AFTER LUNCH BUT STARTED MISSING THEN NOTHING.... backfire backfire then NOTHING again...

It was the crank sensor and i also put in a new cam sensor as they had ONLY ONE EACH in stock......

I DON'T AGREE with Chopper ON THESE OLDER MODELS::::: NOT GROUNDING THE SPARK PLUGS with wires attached to them,,,, You CAN have a problem BURNING out the coil....... WHEN KICKING these older ENGINES OVER(WITH STARTER) WITH PLUGS OUT of hole and GROUNDED...... YOU CAN SEE THE SPARK ON THESE OLDER BIKES......

ONLY THE NEWER BIKES HAVE THE SYSTEM THAT WORKS THE WAY CHOPPER mentioned in his post above.....

Thanks Chopper i learned that from you for my new 09 FLHR bike......

But on the OLDER bike,,, ground the PLUG while it is OUT and you can see spark IF there is any..... You don't need it under compression but grounded YES...

My 2000 worked great after the NEW crank sensor was installed.... JUST a long THUMB ride to TUCSON HD...

REMEMBER DON"T CUT AND SPLICE.... take the time,, YOU CAN tape a piece of heavy elec. wire and pull it thru WHEN removing the old wire.... (CUT the frame ties if you go this way) and then re-attach to the new wire and pull it BACK thru the harness..

BUT mine was IMPOSSIBLE ( harness was ruined and taped up by a shop probing holes thru the harness on a previous re-install) what a mess....

I liked it going UP and UNDER gas TANK better than DOWN and UNDER frame..LESS chance for damage from something hitting the wire and not so tight a KINK in the wire along the center up tube and need not cut the frame

ties then......

So i routed mine up and under tank, down the frame into the under seat electrical area where my two wires hooked using two frame ties under tank did the job....... either way will work fine as it is a very heavy wire........

HOPE you have your bike HOME... i was 150 miles out.... but good food at the truck stop..... another story!

YES on KEMO codes,,,, mine showed ALL 3
signed....BUBBIE

Yes, its a carb, and I never tried to start it before pulling the sending unit out of the tank. I don't think that had anything to do with it not firing.
What would go out after shutting it down from a 9 hr hard run and cause it not to fire?

NOTICING FLHT 2001
WONDER if you could of PULLED LOOSE the ignition wiring some how??

don't know just wondered?? Never had a FLH until 09...... that key switch had to move to get to the tank float?

signed....BUBBIE

I think that bike has a tilt sensor in the turn light unit, You need to check that out, If is is bad = No spark.:newsmile08:

How about a little basics, when you ran the fuel level low once, maybe the rust and debris floating in the bottom plugged up the inlet screen or worse, some of it got past and went into the carb plugging up openings and gumming things up. Might want to pull the floatbowl plug, drain and inspect what comes out...do same with the bottom fuel tank fitting and shine flashlight in filler cap to see condition of inner liner. Either way, a through inspection of your fuel system is a good starting point, and likely culprit given the age of the machine.

Back