free website stats program NJ Govenor orders flag at half mast for Whitney Houston | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

NJ Govenor orders flag at half mast for Whitney Houston

+1 to all the previous comments!

I didn't want to believe it when I heard it. This is nothing more than a political stunt, and unfortunately, it takes away so much from those who truly deserve the honor.

Can someone define what is considered a Hero now days"??
[besides a sandwich in NY]

In my unofficial, humble and less than perfect definition,

A hero is someone who places the needs of an other or others above those of themselves and acts without hesitation to fulfill those needs at whatever risk or threat to their own well being.

I am proud to say, I've had the honor to serve with and to know many such people. Unfortunately, the media just doesn't care enough about them...we're flooded with tragedies like, crime, pain and suffering, disasters and for what, all for the sake of sensationalism and therefore profit. It'll never change...could you imagine the evening news with just good news, or nice people doing nice to each other... heck, no one would watch it.

Can someone define what is considered a Hero now days"?? [besides a sandwich in NY]

Ha, I like that. It would be a sad day for sure if we no longer had our sub sandwiches.

But to seriously answer your question. It is a fair question since there are many types and levels of heros. All should be considered individuals of note.

But to stay on a track, I will give this hero as my example to answer you question.

John F. Baker Jr., Medal of Honor recipient died last month. I did see a brief mention of it on the news. Not sure if any flags flew at half mast but there is a good chance they did in his home town.

John F. Baker was a Vietnam medal of honor soldier. I remember hearing about this guy while I was still in school. He stood out because he was so small. This guy was truly a great individual, may his soul rest forever now.

---Brief Bio--
John F. Baker Jr., a retired Army master sergeant, awarded the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War, died Jan. 20 at a hospital in Columbia, S.C. He was 66. He had a heart ailment, said his wife, Donnell Baker.

Standing only 5 feet 2 inches tall and weighing just 105 pounds, Sgt. Baker made up for his diminutive stature by building up his physique. Accepted by the Army during the Vietnam War (the Marine Corps said he was an inch too short) Sgt. Baker’s impressive strength helped him save the lives of his fellow soldiers.

In Nam Sgt. Baker’s unit was tasked with reinforcing a group of American soldiers pinned down near Dau Tieng, close to the Cambodian border. About 3,000 Viet Cong and NVA, had taken positions in the surrounding jungle, hiding in underground bunkers and roping themselves to tree branches.

As the U.S. soldiers advanced, the lead scout was shot in the face. The jungle erupted in enemy fire. In the ensuing battle, Sgt. Baker with another soldier destroyed two enemy bunkers, the other soldier was mortally wounded. Sgt. Baker killed four enemy snipers before carrying his comrade away from the ambush.

Returning to the battle, Sgt. Baker was blown off his feet by an enemy grenade but recovered to make repeated trips through small arms fire to evacuate wounded American soldiers much larger than himself. By the end of the two-hour conflict, Sgt. Baker’s uniform was soaked in the blood of his comrades.

In all, Sgt. Baker was credited with recovering eight fallen U.S. soldiers, destroying six bunkers and killing at least 10 enemies. As his Medal of Honor nomination was considered, Sgt. Baker spent the rest of his tour as a “tunnel rat.” His size made him a natural at it. Armed with a flashlight and pistol, he explored the spider and scorpion infested subterranean network used by Viet Cong. During one mission, he discovered a full scale VC hospital complete with surgical suites buried three stories below ground.

After returning home he was presented the Medal of Honor by President Lyndon B. Johnson, the military’s highest decoration for valor. According to his citation, “Sgt. Baker’s selfless heroism, indomitable fighting spirit, and extraordinary gallantry were directly responsible for saving the lives of several of his comrades, and inflicting serious damage on the enemy.”

His first marriage, to Ruth Ann Smith, ended in divorce. Survivors include his wife, Donnell Brazil Baker of Columbia; a son from his first marriage, John F. Baker III of Fort Myers, Fla.; and two grandchildren.
---end bio

I am sure that upon reflection, those eight American soldiers whose situation seemed hopeless will need no definition as to what a true "hero" is as they have witnessed it firsthand and will forever be grateful to the man of small stature whose courage made him larger than most men would or could hope to ever be in moments of sheer terror.
If I were one of those surviving eight men and the question was posed to me "What makes a hero?" I know that without hesitation I would be transported back in time when my own life hung in the balance, and was spared by heroism the likes of which I had never witnessed before, John F Baker would come to mind and not, say, Eli Manning or perhaps an actor!

Although I also believe that this honor should be given only to true heros, and those that served the public. I've heard this talked about on the radio a few times and here were a couple of facts that were mentioned.

1. This is only for the state of NJ, not nationally. It has been said that Houston has done a lot for the state and the people of NJ (Don't know if that is true or not).
2. The Gov does have the authority to put flags at half mast for his state to honor anyone that he feels deserves it. So he is not overstepping his authority.
3. The NJ flags were at half mast for Clarence Clemmons when he died, and there was no opposition to it.
4. The president had the nations flags at half mast for the students killed at VA Tech, and they did not serve their country and would not be considered heros.

Again, not my position, just some things mentioned on talk radio that were interesting to note.

i guess to each his own but i guess we dont have to agree.i seen in our local paper today where gov.Christie is getting ready to sign a bill to allow same-sex
marriage REEEEAAAAALY. like i said in early post i guess i just dont fit in with todays society

It took me a lot of years, but I've come to the conclusion that it hasn't mattered much what I say, they keep doing all the things I don't like LOL. So I've decided to do a little more ignoring and hoping they go away. Will just have to see how that works for awhile :D

When in the truck and commercials on all the good music stations.. I wandered, forgive me :small3d023:

Hay man..I here ya.....I just myself.... am talking think the flag half mast is for the hero's such as veterans.....No offence to you ..

Back