free website stats program Newby to Sporty. What to expect? | Harley Davidson Forums

Newby to Sporty. What to expect?

Hi-
I will soon be taking delivery of an 07 883XL, and I'm wondering what anyone else's experience/ advice is for these bikes. I'm not new to motorcyles, but I have never owned a Harley yet, so I have a list of questions.. (more to follow, I'm sure.)

1.) Right now, I'm in the ordering stage. As far as options go, the dealer I'm working with orders ALL of their bikes with the security system (which is good, right?) and I'm wondering about other options to get on it.
a) I want the oil temperature/dipstick to monitor the engine as I ride in what is arguably H_LL for air-cooled engines (Arizona.). Do these engines do well without taking drastic measures?
b) The detachable luggage rack looks really stout, and should haul the occasional milkcrate nicely.
c.) Don't ask me why, but I really like the round mirrors (more traditional looking), and at $14 each, they're a steal.
d.) I'm not too sure about the tach.My Suzuki Savage doesn't have one, and to be honest, once you know the engine revs per mile, you're set. I don't plan on exploring the upper reaches of the powerband- so why?

2.) I wonder how well these bikes are going to respond to something like putting on S.E. slip-on mufflers. On most fuel-injected engines, the injectors/engine-control will compensate for changes, as long as they aren't too drastic from stock.

3.) I have NEVER in my travels ever heard of a modern Harley "wearing out"... They might get totalled or sold, but I've never heard of them wearing out! Is it just me, or does anyone agree with that?

4.) Is the 883 enough? Before I start an argument, this is what I am asking: My favorite bike I've owned so far was a Yamaha XS650 twin. It made good power everywhere, was plenty happy on the freeway, and seemed the perfect size/power for me. While it'd be great to put the checkmark next to a 1200 or a big twin, the reality is that the 883 is my only choice. I have heard "it's too slow", and "you HAVE to get a 1200", but considering who I've heard it from, I'm taking those statements with a bit of salt. The bike magazines are no better. They compare the 883 to bikes that routinely top 120mph in 3rd gear. My logic tells me that if a 70's tech 650cc twin made me happy, a 883cc twin should deliver equal power with change to spare. I commute 75miles roundtrip daily, most of it at 65-70 mph on my Savage, which does the job, but with almost nothing left for passing. What do you think?

You posted this a month ago?!?! Jeez, lots of traffic here, huh?:rolleyes:

Anyway, if it's a money thing, I totally understand. Wish all of us had all the money we wanted to buy toys with!

But if you can swing the 1200, I'd really suggest it. Not only for the extra power, but they just run better, it's going to make the bike alot more fun, and there seems to be more available for it.

The other factor to think about is that the re-sale on 883's suck. If you ever plan on trading it or getting a newer one, I'd keep that in mind. Just my .02.

But when it all comes down to it, if the 883 is what you want, get it. I want a SuperGlide a whole lot and have been looking around at them, and will probably buy one soon. I have, however had almost all my freinds put in their opinions and if I listened to all of them, I'd never end up with a bike! I'm the one laying out the $$$, so I am deciding.

Lot traffics but they are only guest I think :D .

Yes I see lots of guests coming here to read. I wish that they would join with us and share their knowledge or ask a question if they have one. I have as of yet not met anyone who is verbally abusive as I've found on some other forums.

If you crusing as a Guest, Hey come'on and join us.

FM

A lot of people like Harley Davidson products and motorcyles.but many of them never had question if they dont have a bike or use harley products :D

If you don't mind, since you just got yours, I was wondering how much you paid for it. I'm in the process of dealing right now, and we are to a point where the dealer said he can't come down anymore because they are throwing in the screaming eagle pipes.... He's at $7700.

If you crusing as a Guest, Hey come'on and join us.

FM

I did I did!
just my two cents, but i never thought I'd want less than a 1200. My husband and I both shared a 1200 until I found my 883, and I much prefer the way it corners over his (plus I'm vertically challenged). He even likes to take it for a spin now and then. If someone offered me a brand new ride, I'd have to pass that on to hubby... cause I'm diggin my 883! They are both great bikes. Good luck with it

I did I did!
just my two cents, but i never thought I'd want less than a 1200. My husband and I both shared a 1200 until I found my 883, and I much prefer the way it corners over his (plus I'm vertically challenged). He even likes to take it for a spin now and then. If someone offered me a brand new ride, I'd have to pass that on to hubby... cause I'm diggin my 883! They are both great bikes. Good luck with it

Glad you made the move. Welcome.

Check the used market for 883's and you will see why the 1200 is much better at retaining her value. I bought a Nightster 2 weeks ago and the price is worth every penny, resale value will hold for 5-6 years, (more if you take care of it, low milege etc.) If you need passing and avoidance power buy a 1200.

In response to some of the questions you had and I'm a newby Sporty owner as well.

I would suggest using an oil temp. dipstick. With it you can monitor the operating temp. range which in my case is usually 150-225 depending on the outside air temps and kind of riding I'm doing.
I don't think just the addition of SE11 mufflers alone will add much in the way of performance but they will produce a better Harley sound. I have SE11's on mine along with a K&N Air Filter, re-jet and mixture screw adjustment and it seems to work fine.
Harleys are mechanical and will wear out just as well as anything else. How long it will last depends on the amount of service and care you give it. The better you look after it the more years you will have it to enjoy, and it will last a long time from what I've read. Mine is an '03 883 and does all I want it to do. The 1200 will be more powerful for sure but mine is enough for me and if I ever want more all that is needed is to put in the 1200 kit but that's not probably not going to happen as I'm satisfied with what I 've got...I bought what I wanted. Hope this info helps.

Tom

Back