free website stats program Newbie | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Welcome
My first HD was a 03 RKC, great modle choise.
I Was on a Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan.
Went from a rocket to a snail. Than I did the stage 1 set up and life was good.

Welcome from Georgia. Congratulations on your first Harley. Great choice for a first one since you have riding experience. Now get out there and enjoy it.

Welcome from south Texas.
Just a heads up though. The '05 model year was a year of bad valve guide seals and many were replaced under warranty. A running change corrected the problem in later production. Just be aware of the issue and if excessive oil consumption becomes an issue, you know the fix.

On another note, those pesky cam tensioners were still an issue in '05, so running down whether or not they have been replaced is advisable. If that is not possible, you should pull the cam chest cover and take a look. Many have gone 100K miles with no issues but many have failed and caused minor to major damage so it would be worth while to check them out.

Not bashing HD and not trying to frighten the OP, remember guys, I have two HDs in the garage. Just a friendly FYI; welcome to the forum and should either of the above issues arise, you will find plenty of help on the forum with a solution.;)

Welcome from south Texas.
Just a heads up though. The '05 model year was a year of bad valve guide seals and many were replaced under warranty. A running change corrected the problem in later production. Just be aware of the issue and if excessive oil consumption becomes an issue, you know the fix.

On another note, those pesky cam tensioners were still an issue in '05, so running down whether or not they have been replaced is advisable. If that is not possible, you should pull the cam chest cover and take a look. Many have gone 100K miles with no issues but many have failed and caused minor to major damage so it would be worth while to check them out.

Not bashing HD and not trying to frighten the OP, remember guys, I have two HDs in the garage. Just a friendly FYI; welcome to the forum and should either of the above issues arise, you will find plenty of help on the forum with a solution.;)

Good points by dolt. I checked my cam tensioners at just over 45,000 miles. They were worn about 1/2 way with pitting starting. I replaced them with hydraulic upgrade kit. If you open it up to check and see orange colored tensioner pads, those are OEM. My 05 Tour Classic was a late year production so I have had no issues with valve guide seals.

Back