free website stats program Newbie needs help with speedo cable | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie needs help with speedo cable

I can get a replacement from Fleabay for £12 here in the UK and as the outer is taped up in a couple of places I think I will just replace both - although obviously it wont be an original part!
I just need to get the old one off tommorrow.

As long as it gets you going does not matter where it comes from i fitted aftermarket cables to the 2 that broke
however ive never seen the speedo being tested on a mot unless they check it when they do the brake testing on the front wheel

Brian

Hi again,
nearly a month later & I still can't find a speedo cable.
All the ones I get offered have a threaded part on & seem to screw in - mine doesn't.
I undid the miniscule brass screw & pulled the cable & holder out - then a worm drive came out.
Are there 2 types of cable?
cheers
Chris

Perhaps something with your bike is not standard
if im looking for parts i usually browse through the zodiac catalogue find the right section and see what i can find
(see attachment)
speedo cables start on page 63 of that section if you find the item you are after then email v-twinmania with the zodiac part number and he will get back to you with a price and availability most parts can be had within a week or 2

Brian

Attachments

• 19.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
Hi again,
nearly a month later & I still can't find a speedo cable.
All the ones I get offered have a threaded part on & seem to screw in - mine doesn't.
I undid the miniscule brass screw & pulled the cable & holder out - then a worm drive came out.
Are there 2 types of cable?
cheers
Chris

Sure looks from the schematic that the speedo cable jacket is supposed to screw in to the sender at the front wheel. Peek in there and see if it seems to be threaded - not for a screw/bolt, but rather to accept the "spring coil" like speedo cable jacket end. If so, then a standard speedo cable kit (jacket and drive cable) should work. If not, then as said above, sounds like the sending unit may be third-party rather than OEM.

SPEEDOMETER XLS, XLX -- - 1984 Harley Davidson XLH

TQ

TQ

There's usually a very tiny screw facing down towards the ground on the housing that holds the cable in after it is installed in the sender.

TQ

There's usually a very tiny screw facing down towards the ground on the housing that holds the cable in after it is installed in the sender.

On the Sporties, does the jacket just insert straight into the sender and then held there by the screw, or does it thread in and then held from backing out by the screw? On my Dyna, the jacket screws into the sender, and then I insert the drive cable from the speedo end.

TQ

Not sure on the sporty but it should have the set screw to keep it in place. The big twins usually screw in and then the screw holds it in place.

Back