free website stats program Newbie needing some help. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie needing some help.

Just a thought. As I look at your photo of the cover and look at my Ultra 01 cover, I notice you have the red dots at 12 and 3 o clock...Mine are at 12 and 9 o'clock.. ( 12 is locked, and I can remove the key...9 is unlocked and the key can't be removed.)
I'm wondering if your dad replaced the original with the Harley "Push Button" open. Some people 'upgrade' to these covers so they don't have to use a key....Perhaps try to move your key to your 3 o clock position and pushing the button down....

Hey that's a good thought! I will give that a shot here in a bit when I get home. I wouldn't put it past my Dad to do something like that...:)
Thanks for the reply and assistance.

Welcome to the forum.
Are you turning the key clockwise or counter clockwise?
On my '06 fl I turn the key counter clockwise from the 12 o'clock position and the cover opens.
Hope this helps, good luck.

I have tried to turn it both directions and pulling up once in the new position. I will give this a shot though. Considering my head has been all over the place this past week, I could be simply doing something incorrect. I know it sounds all to simple, which is why it has been bugging me.

Thank you for the help!

How do you insert photos? Help me please! I got plenty on my computer but how do you get them posted

Help me on how do post pictures!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about your loss. How far away is the Harley dealer? If they are too far can you trailer it there? How about calling their service department and tell them how you came into position of the bike and need help opening the gas cap. If there is a nearby Indy shop go there. Good Luck.

did you let it soak with some WD40 or PB Blaster.
Maybe its just a bit gummed, then try it after it sits a bit

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear of your loss.
I just went to the garage and took my lock assy. off. I don't know why your dots are at 12 & 3 positions, mine are at 9 & 12 as others posted. The assembly will not go in the cover 90° out, only 180° out and correct. I can feel the lock latch pull out when I turn the key ccw, and my cap springs open by itself. I would soak the barrel area with some lube and work that key around good, and also push on the cover. Walk away if you need to. It will open.

I finally got it open and found that the assembly was a little loose, seemed a little "dry" too. Removing and going to soak it in some wd40 or something for a bit this evening.
Thanks for everyone's help.
WAP.gif

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your father passing. I wish I had more input for you but I do not own a RoadGlide, yet........

I think Fossil hit on a good idea and I am pretty sure the guys at the HD Dealer in Carrollton would be happy to assist you. I used them once for a warranty issue and was quite happy with the outcome and we are always met with enthusiasm went we are they even if to just look around. If your father lived local they might even have service records for the bike.

Good luck and hit me up for a ride sometime.

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear of your father passing. I wish I had more input for you but I do not own a RoadGlide, yet........

I think Fossil hit on a good idea and I am pretty sure the guys at the HD Dealer in Carrollton would be happy to assist you. I used them once for a warranty issue and was quite happy with the outcome and we are always met with enthusiasm went we are they even if to just look around. If your father lived local they might even have service records for the bike.

Good luck and hit me up for a ride sometime.
Sounds good Brother. The HD store is a 5-7 minutes ride from the house. I think I need to make my first trip in as a full fledged owner. :) I do know that Dad do some serious work on the bike, just not 100% what all it was. I do know it likes to get up and move in hurry.
A ride sounds great though for sure. I will pm you my info.
WAP.gif

Welcome to the forum 05RoadGlide.. My 06 Ultra opens just as Dr.Evil says.. I turn the key and then pull on it ( don't have to pull very hard ) Once open, I return to the lock position and remove the key, then after fuel up and cap back in place just close door and it locks in place... Hope this helps..:D
I have an 01 ultra and this is exactly how it works, I might add, any barrel key will fit your gas lid. You might try a different key. good luck.

Back