free website stats program Newb (not RUB) with 1994 Hertiage Softail Cough.... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Newb (not RUB) with 1994 Hertiage Softail Cough....

i dont think that a fuel additive will be a lot of benefit in this case sounds a wee bit like the diaphragm has perhaps a small hole

Brian

+1 on the hole in diaphram. Was looking for thread a few days ago about this same condition (sluggish at higher speed). Can't find it. Had OP, then 2nd post talked about hole in diaphram and his same conditions then had Bubbie (3rd post)basically saying yes 2nd post, that is exactly the problem, good job.
(I went under Bubbie's profile and looked up posts by Bubbie but didn't see it)

Anyway,long story short, I'm with Brian. Rebuild carb with new diaphram.

Her first day and you guys already got her in trouble. Shame on youi!!Welcome to the forum Beckysan. you can learn alot here.

Thanks! To be fair, I get myself into my own trouble (as I did here hahaha) but I appreciated the lesson for sure!

So after some tinkering this weekend, cleaned out the carb and found out what the problem was...(other than a dirty carb....)
One of the hoses connected to the carburator keeps slipping off, so it's not getting the air or suction it needs. When I discovered this on Saturday, I reconnected, took for a spin, cranked it up to 80, no issues. Put on 50 miles, had a blast, bike ran beautifully. When I jumped on last night, got around the corner, started again, looked down, it was the same offending hose.
A-What is this hose
B-What kind of clamp should I use to keep it on? I don't think I've seen any hose clamps that small...
I appreciate everyone's help!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a vacuum hose and it connects to the voes which is an electronic switch that adjusts spark advance using the vacuum created in the carb as a trigger to how much advance to put on or something like that
If you do not get any advance on the ignition timing then yes you could only go so fast and not get any faster
a simple worm drive clip should hold it in place

Brian

Thanks Brian! I will pick one up on my way home from work and give it a shot and let you guys know. I really do appreciate everyone's help!

Newb,
I have a 1994 Heritage and last year had a problem with the diaphragm and it led to leaking. I did a little research and decided to send my carb off for a good rebuild. I sent it to Killer Motorcycle Products and when I got it back I was amazed at how smooth it runs, no coughing at any speed, no stutter. I was blown away. In the right hands folks seem to perform miracles.
Wmildman

Thanks! To be fair, I get myself into my own trouble (as I did here hahaha) but I appreciated the lesson for sure!

So after some tinkering this weekend, cleaned out the carb and found out what the problem was...(other than a dirty carb....)
One of the hoses connected to the carburator keeps slipping off, so it's not getting the air or suction it needs. When I discovered this on Saturday, I reconnected, took for a spin, cranked it up to 80, no issues. Put on 50 miles, had a blast, bike ran beautifully. When I jumped on last night, got around the corner, started again, looked down, it was the same offending hose.
A-What is this hose
B-What kind of clamp should I use to keep it on? I don't think I've seen any hose clamps that small...
I appreciate everyone's help!!!!

If there is any additional length to the hose, you can always cut an inch off the hose and put the fresh end back on the carb. Should be snug after that.

Take care,
Dave

Back