free website stats program New Ultra Glide Fuel Filter Recall | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Ultra Glide Fuel Filter Recall

I had almost 5000 miles on my '08 FLHT before the filter shell went south on me about 30 miles from home. It didn't leave me stranded, but I had to limp home in 3rd and 4th gear due to lack of proper fuel pressure. I got my notice a few days ago, as well.

Scott in IL

Dropped the bike off yesterday to the dealership. As of August 7, still not received the repair kit. Their going to complete the 5K checkout today but won't be able to make the repair.

The dealer states that they had two or three failures last year and one currently at their location waiting to be repaired. Bike barely moves, sputtering and coughing like a dying animal.

They are as frustrated as anyone that HD sends out the recall statements before the dealership has the repair parts. Now they have a list of about 30 riders looking for the repair, and I'm number five.

Their best advice is 1. If it starts hard, park it until its repaired and 2. If it starts sputtering or running rough, park it until its repaired. Trouble is that two of the failures brought to them were instantaneous so you have about a 50/50 chance of having no chance:)

And the humidity and temp are just going to be perfect this weekend for riding!!!:(

Well, the dealership completed the 5,000 mile service and low and behold, they found that my fuel filter cannister was about to let loose!! Fortunately, the repair kit arrived just Friday morning and my ride now is good as new.

By the way, I also learned that HD is having serious problems with heated grips wearing out after just a few months, at least on touring models. My salesman has replaced four sets on his 07 Ultra.

This dealer quit stocking the heated grips and instead suggested that I ad the heated clothing harness to the battery and buy a pair of heated gloves. That move would also give me the option of adding the heated vest, jacket or pants if I needed.

Nice straight talk from the service folks. I purchased the harness as part of the 5K service and today purchased the gloves to start with.

We'll see where this goes:guitar

You're going to love the heated gloves. IMO they are a better solution than the heated grips in that they warm the hands and not rely on holding the heated grip to do the same. Even with the heated grips, the back of your hand that catches the oncoming air gets cold unlike the gloves.

Did mine last month, it took 30 days ++ for the new part to come in. I had 3500 miles on the bike with no problems, but with all the other 08 shells going bad I did mine at home. 45 min or less.

The shell I took out had 2 bad spots on the ears. And the o-ring was twice the normal size! I also put A new gas filter in with the shell a few $$, it was dirty gray.
will post photo if I can.

Attachments

• bad shell 08.jpg
    bad shell 08.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 63
My first post, in fact the reason I registered was due to this recall. I have 2100 miles on mine, built in June 07. Been planning a trip with my wife for several months down to NM, about 700 miles down, plan for 900 miles back, leaving next week. Our dealer here in Wichita still does not have the parts, have 200 on the list, I am 29th. Looks like I have dealers along the way, down and back. From what they tell me, there is no magic mileage when these things give it up, could be 500 miles, they have seen them go at 20,000. They have over 200 sold, have seen 6 of theirs back. I look at it as about 3% failure out of their sales. Yes a crap shoot, but 97% is pretty good odds. Anyone have better statistics? Just trying to determine my odds! Thanks for all the good information.

I went to talk to dealer about recall and they don't seem to have much info on them. He told me they have to take assembly out of tank and reference serial # of part and if it is between a certain series of numbers, they will replace it but they can't do it and don't know when they can because they don't have any replacement shells in stock yet. ( they are ordered) . I drove 400 miles yesterday as it has been awesome riding weather. I will continue to ride like I always do and take my chances with this breaking as I just can't worry about when this thing is gonna break as there is too much great riding time at stake.

My first post, in fact the reason I registered was due to this recall. I have 2100 miles on mine, built in June 07. Been planning a trip with my wife for several months down to NM, about 700 miles down, plan for 900 miles back, leaving next week. Our dealer here in Wichita still does not have the parts, have 200 on the list, I am 29th. Looks like I have dealers along the way, down and back. From what they tell me, there is no magic mileage when these things give it up, could be 500 miles, they have seen them go at 20,000. They have over 200 sold, have seen 6 of theirs back. I look at it as about 3% failure out of their sales. Yes a crap shoot, but 97% is pretty good odds. Anyone have better statistics? Just trying to determine my odds! Thanks for all the good information.

My dealership reports about the same % failure rate as yours. And its true you have dealers along the way. I got lucky since my ride was in the shop for the 5,000 mile service the day the parts arrived, so I got mine installed. To me though, it's peace of mind. If it goes when you need the power, boy you better have an exit plan...like in the passing lane of an expressway or going uphill in the mountains.

Good luck, sounds like a fun ride!!
BJ:s

Back