free website stats program New to Harley -- stupid question... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New to Harley -- stupid question...

Being a bit of a cheepskate i have never bought an oil drain pan i just recycle something else
currently got 5 all diferent sizes to suit there use current best one was made out of an old 5 litre plastic conainer that came with car sreen wash in it just cut the side out of it push under bike and remove drain plug
when i need to drain it i unscrew the origional screw cap on the containor and slowly pour the old oil out

Brian

Thanks again for for the replies. I just finished... used a roasting pan (which I found has a small leak). Also made the obligatory mess removing the oil filter. What did they put that thing on with? It was torqued down pretty good.

After cleaning up my mess, I took it out for a short ride, just to heat everything up to op temps. I noticed a "knock" that I didn't hear before. Hard to tell where it's coming from, but it's loudest on the left side of the bike. Primary?

I didn't overfill, even used a measuring cup. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I should add that the knock is noticeable at idle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always put the oil filter on hand tight and they seem to tighten up considerably during use smearing some new oil on the filter seal prior to fitting helps to seal it

Brian

I use an old cat litter pan. It's large enough to drain all 3 holes at once.:s

Ditto here , I have been using the same cat pan for 10 years, The cat doesnt mind LOL, really tho it works good. I like Hobbits idea on a roaster pan another good choice. No such thing as a stupid question, this is how we learn, Jack

You can minimize the mess when removing the filter by punching a hole in the end at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions and let the oil drain out into a suitable funnel or soda pop bottle that has been cut lengthwise to form a catch pan for the oil. Much easier than cleaning all the oil off the front mount and the oil isn't good for the rubber in the mount in any case.

Did my first oil change yesterday - took one of those pizza box covers of a pizza I had bought at the local grocery and cut it to appropriate length/width. Wrapped w/ aluminum foil and looked to make a good funnel that slid in, under and around the filter nicely. Even w/ that, I still lost a good bit of oil when removing the oil filter. The funnel caught some of it, but think I let the filter angle down on removal and didn't keep the funnel pushed flush against the mount.

Think I'll try punching holes in next time. What do you use Glider to punch the holes with? Doesn't seem there's enough room to work with to get any leverage to get the holes punched - thx

1) Sorry about the wrong link for the oil filter drain windage tray, my setup is Post #8... :coffee

http://www.hdtimeline.com/members_tips_for_easy_maintenance/18430-oil_filter_oil_catch.html

2) Check in the manual for the actual capacities. Do you know how much you put in based on Ounces/Milli-Liters fluid level marks on the outside of the bottle are left? Not very scientific, but beats stealing your gals glass measuring cup in the kitchen (better find a replacement...if it is not glass, cause plastic and oil do not clean up well. Knocking could be caused by low level or something loose, did you adjust the chain or due other routine maintenance? :newsmile07:

Thanks again for for the replies. I just finished... used a roasting pan (which I found has a small leak). Also made the obligatory mess removing the oil filter. What did they put that thing on with? It was torqued down pretty good.

After cleaning up my mess, I took it out for a short ride, just to heat everything up to op temps. I noticed a "knock" that I didn't hear before. Hard to tell where it's coming from, but it's loudest on the left side of the bike. Primary?

I didn't overfill, even used a measuring cup. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I should add that the knock is noticeable at idle.

The next time your standing around the dealer, go buy the oil filter adapter socket. It has a cutout for the crankshaft positioning sensor, and works really well with a long 3/8" extension and 3/8" ratchet. Use the drain set up mentioned, but I take a long screwdriver and hammer a hole in the filter and let it drain, then when loosening the filter (just so you can turn it by hand), I move the hole up (so it won't drip), then take a large plastic ziplock freezer bag and slip it around the filter and adapter, hold it tight against them and unscrew the filter the rest of the way off, and it will fall in the bag. Place a few paper towels under the bag and remove the bag from the oil filter head adapter. Close the zip bag and no mess. Always inspect the o-rings on the drain plugs, and if not perfect, replace it (most hardware stores carry the o-ring). Btw, you can use the derby cover "seal" many times over. YMMV. Doing you own maintenance is a sure way of getting it done correctly.

Thorns

I have a bike lift, but don't use it when I'm changing oil. I punch a hole in the filter at 6 and 12 o'clock to drain the oil out of it as glider mentioned. I also remove the voltage regulator. It only requires removing two bolts and it makes it so much easier to get my hands in there.

Welcome to the site and congrats on you purchase, I use a 2 liter bottle with the end cut out of it the I stick my 3/8 extension thought the pour hole and then use a 13 flute cap wrench to take the filter off, I made just a small tiny mess but overall it worked really well great choice of lubes for your baby

concerning the knocking sound, different oils, both petro and synthetic, allow the sounds of the engine's mechanics to be amplified and/or dampened. i remember the first service on past 3 harleys, going from petro to harley synth; engine sounds amplified on each bike. that's not to say somethin ain't wrong there yours, but often these air cooled engines can really be noisy...and the oil used can make a volume difference...confirmed this long ago w harley techs...

Back