free website stats program New Tires | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Tires

I put avon venom x on my softail earlier this year and they are a much better tyre in the wet than the dunlops that were fitted but as i only have about 3000 miles on them they seem to be wearing well and as half of the mileage has been in the wet they are defiantly a better tyre in the wet
my sportster will also be getting a pair of avon venom x tyres soon

Brian

Can't imagine a tire discussion without the Dunlop E 3s being mentioned. Others have reported around 20k out of the rear tires and more than that from the fronts.

My experience so far: 2008 RKC factory d402s, got 30k plus out of the front and 15k each out of 2 rears. The rears would start to howl in turns after about 7500 miles. The Elite 3s were described by others as getting excellent wear and being immune from following ruts or reacting to grate bridge surfaces. I only have 5000 miles on mine and they run very straight, don't get upset by road surface. They are quiet and smooth. They show no excessive wear, but no indication yet if I will be another who gets 20k or more out of the rear. I don't risk the skin or chrome to find out the cornering limits on tires, they've never frightened me or given me a start.

I bought Pirelli Night Dragons. I'm exceedingly pleased. I just replaced the rear at 10,200. The front has a long way to go.

I just got to ask... What are you guys doing to get this type of mileage out of Dunlop or whatever brand of tire? I'm not doubting you, just wonder where I can improve. I typically only get 7-8k out of the rear, monitoring tire pressure weekly is about the only thing I do. My riding is evenly divided between country highways/roads and interstate. I'm wondering if I can increase my tire life by increasing psi or such, maybe triple checking rear alignment? I keep a fairly close eye on things, but never have been able to replicate some of the outstanding tire life (IMO) I've read about.

In 16k total miles, I've run through 2 Dunlops and now have a Metzler on the back. The first Dunlop was changed out prematurely as I was going on a trip and it seemed prudent to not take any chances, The second was pulled off with only 7.5k on it, now the Metzler has 4.5k and about half or better used up. I may get 9k out of it so that's an improvement. I'd love to squeeze 12k out of a rear tire, maybe if I wipe 'em down in Pledge or something...

Jack

I was low on cash so I put on some Kenda Challengers, loud & don't bal real well. But for 125.00 for both shipped & 8000 miles later, I can't complain. They got me through a tough spot. I have been thinking of the Avon & have used Metzlers in the past. The last set of Metzlers cupped rather quickly, but I still need to pull the front forks and replace the seals. I have not noticed any quirks with them leaking & would hate to miss some good riding. Will tear it down this winter during a snow storm. I think I got around 10000-12000 on the Metzlers. Good luck

Toby

I typically only get 7-8k out of the rear, monitoring tire pressure weekly is about the only thing I do. My riding is evenly divided between country highways/roads and interstate.

Same exact way with me. I have 15K on the bike and I just installed my 3rd rear tire. The alignment on my bike is not close,, it is perfect. My tire PSI is on the button per Metezler spec.

But I am a green light jack rabbit. I think that's the reason for me because the front tires last & last. It's the rear tires I go through.

Yep I've done everything I know to do, aside from soak 'em in Epson Salt of an evening. I do know for a fact that on a car tire, increasing your tire pressure to the max rating will dramatically increase the life of the tire as well as improve handling and fuel mileage. Course that's a totally different animal, and not sure what effect that would have on a bike tire, given the profile and use characteristics. I'd be nervous about running an over inflated motorcycle tire...

Yep I've done everything I know to do, aside from soak 'em in Epson Salt of an evening. I do know for a fact that on a car tire, increasing your tire pressure to the max rating will dramatically increase the life of the tire as well as improve handling and fuel mileage. Course that's a totally different animal, and not sure what effect that would have on a bike tire, given the profile and use characteristics. I'd be nervous about running an over inflated motorcycle tire...

I get about the same as you and Hoople on tires. Most of my riding is done 2 up with 40 PSI in the rear tire and 7K is normal for me to need to replace that tire. I do get more miles on the front but usually replace it every 2nd time I replace the rear just for precautionary measures. I believe running max pressure on bike tires results in the tire wearing out quicker.

I just got to ask... What are you guys doing to get this type of mileage out of Dunlop or whatever brand of tire? I'm not doubting you, just wonder where I can improve. I typically only get 7-8k out of the rear, monitoring tire pressure weekly is about the only thing I do. My riding is evenly divided between country highways/roads and interstate. I'm wondering if I can increase my tire life by increasing psi or such, maybe triple checking rear alignment? I keep a fairly close eye on things, but never have been able to replicate some of the outstanding tire life (IMO) I've read about.

In 16k total miles, I've run through 2 Dunlops and now have a Metzler on the back. The first Dunlop was changed out prematurely as I was going on a trip and it seemed prudent to not take any chances, The second was pulled off with only 7.5k on it, now the Metzler has 4.5k and about half or better used up. I may get 9k out of it so that's an improvement. I'd love to squeeze 12k out of a rear tire, maybe if I wipe 'em down in Pledge or something...

Jack
Do you do a lot of two up riding?

Back