free website stats program New Tach New Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

New Tach New Problems

Don't know if anyone has ever had this problem but here goes... I just had my 2007 Super Glide in for the 1000 mile service. While in the dealership I had a new HD tach installed. Within a couple days of having the bike home several problems developed. First, the check engine light came on and stayed on. This ended up being a code for low voltage to the EFI. Also, the battery indicator began to stay on all the time. I also noticed hard starts, and rough running, and then eventually no starts, and clicking. After putting the battery on my trickle charger for almost two days--it took that long for the charger indicator to turn green--the bike started back up. I cleared the code and everything seemed fine, although I noticed that the tach was not registering in the diagnostics. I took the bike out and about a mile from home the check engine light was on again (with the same code) and the battery light came on and stayed on. I returned home immediately with the bike running roughly, and again put the bike on the trickle charger. It's several hours later now and the trickle charger has still not fully brought the battery back to charge (green indicator). The only thing I expect could have caused all this to a bike that was running like a top when I took it to the dealership for the service and install of the tach, is the improper install of the tach itself. Don't know if this is a sound assumption or not. The bike is being picked up by the dealership next Monday--the soonest they could get to me--but I am very disappointed and have reduced confidence in the dealership service department. Any feedback is welcome.

The only thing I can think of would be to look at some of the tach install how-to's that are out there. I cant remember the exact place I read one, but I think it was on this forum somewhere. My logic is that you could follow through the installation of the tach howto in order to troubleshoot the wiring.

You are a little lucky though, because the dealer did it, at least you can go back to them and make it their problem.

I will see if I cant search and find the specific how-to's tonight after I figure out my fuel line problem on my own bike. Aint machines wonderful!

Thanks toanjo... As it turns out, according to the dealership, I had a bad regulator. I was surprised by this as my bike was purchased new in October of 2007, and only has 1600 miles on it. I guess anything could happen, but my suspicious nature tells me that the dealership may still have done something wrong with the install that caused the problem. Guess I'll never know, and as long as everything is okay now, I guess I'll just be happy to have the bike back and in running order. --Buck

Buck, glad everything worked out.

For anyone that was reading this, I did end up finding the mini tach install howto. Here it is if anyone wants to read it. It looks pretty well done.

Tachometer

Back