free website stats program New Project : 82 Sturgis | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Project : 82 Sturgis

Just to add a little "more" Sturgis info: The Harley Davidson Data Book shows
1980 New model FXB introduced based on the FXS Lowrider. Nine spoke black wheels, 2" extended forks, drag style h-bars, Strugis badge on lower triple tree, oil cooler, short sissy bar with stash bag, 2x belt drive, 1,970 units produced.
1981 No notable changes from '81. 3,543 units produced.
1982 Higher bars, gold wheels. 1,833 units produced.
1991 Evolution Sturgis, too many changes to list (new Dyna platform) 1.546 units produced. Note; all data from above mentioned book, data and numbers have varied from other sources.

I do wish H.D. had brought a Sturgis Twinkie model out in '01-'02 or '11-'12.

Everyone,

Thanks for the info so far. I do have the orignal service manual, a new oil pump and parts catalog so they will help. I like the idea of the Andrew's B grind cam, so I think I will start there with all the other cam case parts, a fuel tank, a carb and see if she turns over.

Going to be a couple weeks to before I have the time to turn the wrenches but I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again

Yes you do need several parts in the Nose cone. I would suggest the Steel breather gear for sure.When you place your oil pump in be sure and remove the pinion gear and oil pump drive gear.You need to do this to align the oil pump for Zero drag.The slightest drag can shear one of the small 1/4" keys(3 of them). I believe the nut for the pinion gear is left handed, a manual will tell you for sure. Keep us posted.
tourbox

In my post #7 I stated an Andrews B grind, that is for solid lifters.If you plan on keeping with the Hydraulic Lifters then I believe Andrews says to go with their BH grind.
tourbox

Last edited by a moderator:
howdy,

trying to get this bike up on the lift and noticed that it appears to be stuck in gear. no throttle cable, or controls, anyone know how I can shift it into nuetral easily without these parts?

thanks in advance.

howdy,

trying to get this bike up on the lift and noticed that it appears to be stuck in gear. no throttle cable, or controls, anyone know how I can shift it into neutral easily without these parts?

thanks in advance.

Because it's a '82 you probably have what is called a Pancake Tranny. Prior to '79s(I think) they were a Ratchet top. The Pancake top had 2 mechanical arms that shifted it. 1 lever sticks up with a place for the shifter rod to connect to. You need to move it by hand forward to down shift till you find 1st.,then back 1 click for neutral.Ratchet tops had about a 3" circle assy., on the left hand side of the tranny, with a arm pointing either up or down(FX or FL). Same thing by hand,clockwise or CCW.
hope this wasn't to much info. or confusing.
tourbox

tb,

you were right on, got'r into nuetral, now i need to free up the brakes, seems like they are stuck partially closed. I was able to loosen them up a bit and the bike is up on the lift. now time to go get some parts.

thanks again...

I can usually smack the calipers with a dead blow hammer(hard plastic head or rubber) to loosen the pads in the caliper.Then remove the caliper,disassemble pads and clean up caliper & pistons.I'm sure it's nice to be on the lift and getting started. Let the FUN begin
tourbox

Back