free website stats program new noise... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

new noise...

When I saw that spec, I couldn't believe that it could be that low so I looked it up and to my surprise, that's what it is. A FINAL reading of 125 PSI is considered normal on a factory stock late model twin cam.

I can't believe the MoCo would really believe that's normal. It might be acceptable but I can't believe it's normal.

Just a comment, nothing more.:)

125 IMO would be the lowest constant with out a major top end needed

Just got back from dinner with the wife, we took the bike. The bike is running strong and sounds great with the new exhaust. I can still hear the noise (sounds like a scrubbing sound) and it is definately related to my RPMs, but I am befuddled as to what it is. I've checked the cam tensioners, compensator, primary chain tensioner, I've changed the plugs and I've tightened everything I can.

I'm starting to think this noise is just something the engine will now make since it's getting some miles on it (35k). I will say the noise is so slight my wife couldn't hear it and, really weird, if I leaned forward and tucked my head down behind the fairing, I couldn't hear it nor could I hear it if I stuck my head above the windshield. Weird.

I've checked the cam tensioners, compensator, primary chain tensioner, I've changed the plugs and I've tightened everything I can.

Well, you have checked in all the areas that I would be worried about a rubbing or cyclical noise, and have not reported any evidence of a problem in those areas. I assume that you have listened to other folks bikes and have NOT heard a similar noise on them, right?

With no evidence of a wear problem I would just pay attention that the problem does not seem to get any worse. I know it is very annoying having an undiagnosed problem that is elusive to trouble-shooting. But you may just have to live with the noise as long as it is not getting worse.

Cheers,

TQ

Well, you have checked in all the areas that I would be worried about a rubbing or cyclical noise, and have not reported any evidence of a problem in those areas. I assume that you have listened to other folks bikes and have NOT heard a similar noise on them, right?

With no evidence of a wear problem I would just pay attention that the problem does not seem to get any worse. I know it is very annoying having an undiagnosed problem that is elusive to trouble-shooting. But you may just have to live with the noise as long as it is not getting worse.

Cheers,

TQ

It doesn't appear to be getting worse. I do wonder about the bearings behind cam chest, but there's nothing to indicate they're going bad. Could be carbon buildup on the pistons..I'll spray water into the throttle body this weekend to clean that up, see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, I'm just gonna ride. Got a trip to North Carolina planned in a month, that'll be a good test. :)

This is just a stab. The rubber hanger that the muffler hangs from at the back can make some real strange noise depending on speed and vibration. Try spray a bit of WD-40 or the like on it. Doesn't take but just a small squirt.

Jewel, I replaced those brackets a couple of years ago...they could have broken again, I'll check.

Bo, I'll lube that muffler bushing too. thanx.

Back