free website stats program NEW GUY WITH REAR BRAKE PROBLEM | Harley Davidson Forums

NEW GUY WITH REAR BRAKE PROBLEM

rayriggs

I HAVE A 1991 DYNA GLIDE THAT HASN'T BEEN RODE FOR 2 YEARS. TODAY I TOOK IT OUT AND THE BACK BRAKE DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. THE STOP LIGHT COMES ON WHEN I PRESS ON THE PEDAL. ANY TROUBLESHOOTING IDEAS ARE WELCOME.

Welcome to the forum from Scotland
If the brake light comes on then the master cylinder is working as it should be a pressure switch operated by the fluid in the system
remove calper and brake pads may just be the pads have jammed
check the operation of the caliper piston make sure the piston moves freely when under pressure
as it is a floating calliper make sure the pins are not jammed or rusty

Brian

Replace the brake fluid and bleed the system.
Best place to start. Especially after sitting for 2 years.
Go from there.

Good advice from fin_676; start with the basics. Very likely that after sitting for two years, that caliper parts are not functioning as they should. If the brake light does not come on, there is a problem upstream but in either case, R/R of the rear caliper is in order. I would take it one step further and rebuild the caliper and replace pads. Rebuild kits are available with piston and seals for about $25 or just seals for about $10. The OP could probably reuse the pistons by cleaning them up with a Scotch Brite pad. There are also rebuild kits for the M/C should that be an issue. Flush the old fluid out as biscuit suggests and replace with new; be sure to use the correct fluid.;)

Open up your bleeder valve and put on the brake, if fluid comes out then your pucks are froze up, if no fluid comes out and your lever is hard then your problem is in the line.

Back