free website stats program New Guy needs help | Harley Davidson Forums

New Guy needs help

Hi All. I ride a 2000 Dyna wide glide. 20k miles. I am missing arizona bike week cuz my bike is sick.

It was running fine last time out.
When I went to start it the other day It fired right up.Then It would only run with the enrichner all the way out? Revving it up make it cough and sputter like it was missing really bad.

I got out the manual and studied what I could comprehend. Took the carb off today and blasted all the jets. Took out the enrighner cleaned out.

LOng story short whan I put it together and startedit it fired right up. With the enrichner all the way out it's running smooth. Then ALl of a sudden it start acting up again runs ruff etc. then I noticed gas pouring out from the carb. It lloked like it was coming from the two holes at the throat of the carb. SO tomorrow I giotta go tear it down again and inspect and see if i can see what's up!@#$%^&*()_

SO if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it greatly.

THANX,

MOE

Sounds like you have some debris in the needle and seat area of the carb. It holds the seat open and floods the engine with gas. Remove it and check in that area to see if you have a piece of rust or something holding it open.

You'll find most answers to problems in the self help area.Click the link at the bottom of this post in red.

Fuel Over Flowing The Carb - Harley Davidson Community

I don't know anything technical, but, when my bike did that last year after sitting for a couple of months, we put Sea Foam in the gas tank and it was running like a champ within a mile. Now, I would probably go with Gliders' recommendation. Just thought I would share what worked for me.

I had that same issue, I had to end up replacing the needle valve, float and since the carb was off I just rebuilt it, it really didn't cost that much more to do the whole thing.

I don't know anything technical, but, when my bike did that last year after sitting for a couple of months, we put Sea Foam in the gas tank and it was running like a champ within a mile. Now, I would probably go with Gliders' recommendation. Just thought I would share what worked for me.

Just curious, What is Sea Foam ?

Just curious, What is Sea Foam ?

SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

100% Pure Petroleum
Use in All Engines in All Seasons
2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels
Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase
  • Cleans fuel injectors
  • Cleans carburetor jets
  • Cleans carbon
  • Stabilizes fuels
  • Upper cylinder lube
  • Removes moisture in fuel
  • De-icer
  • Frees sticky lifters
  • Frees sticky rings
  • Removes moisture in oil
  • Cleans P.C.V. systems
  • Cleans catalytic converter odors
  • Oxygen sensor safe
updates_whitecap.gif

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors
  1. With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
  2. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
  3. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
  4. Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.
FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.
For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles
  • A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE.
  • Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.
  • Removes moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.
  • Stabilizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage.
  • Cure hesitations, stalls, pings and rough idle due to carbon buildup.
  • Helps pass emissions test. EPA Registered.
When Used Thru Injection or Carburetor
  • Cleans carbon build up
  • Cleans intake valves and pistons
  • Gives smoother idle
  • Cleans catalytic converter odors
  • Cures hesitations and pings
  • Restores power and pickup
  • With warm engine running, SLOWLY pour 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short period of time.
  • For use in injector cleaning machines, use 50% SEA FOAM and 50% fuel.
  • Fill diesel filters with SEA FOAM to clean injectors fast.
When Added to Crankcase (Oil)

1. Frees sticky lifters and rings
  2. Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression
  3. Cleans dirty parts
  4. Removes moisture
  5. Cleans PCV valve systems
One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

When Added to Fuel Tank
  • Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets
  • Cleans carbon as you drive
  • Lubricates upper cylinders
  • De-ices and removes moisture
  • Diesel full conditioner and anti gel
  • Stabilizes fuel
One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

In Injector Cleaning Machines

Add a 50/50 blend of fuel and SEA FOAM into injector cleaning machine. Run directly through the fuel rails to clean injectors fast. Add SEA FOAM to your fuel tank to clean injectors as you drive.

Back