free website stats program New 09 RK and P1351 | Harley Davidson Forums

New 09 RK and P1351

august

I purchsed an 09 RK awhile back. I am waiting in line to take the beginners course as I mentioned in the introductory forum. While waiting, I just had to fool around with the bike.

Started out with 5mi on the odometer--now I have 9mi on the odo and a check engine light that generates a P1351 code. P1351=front ignition coil driver open/low. Does that mean I have to replace the coil?

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

august

Does that mean I have to replace the coil?

Not necessarily. What it is telling you is that the ECM did not see a sufficient current load in the driving circuit for the front coil section of the coil pack. It could be just a poor connection at the ECM or at the coil pack. I would not replace any parts until I checked those connections and made sure they are solid. Check the schematic in the service manual for all the connectors that are between the ECM and coil pack. There are at least 2,, maybe more. Plug and re-seat those connections, clear the error code and see if it comes back.

Is that the ONLY code you have and how does the bike actually start & run.

Appreciate the quick reply.

There is a d 1A9 code that shows up first. I will double check the codes again.

The bike starts and runs for a few seconds, then sounds like it's operating on one cylinder.

The bike starts and runs for a few seconds, then sounds like it's operating on one cylinder.

Should have said that in the beginning. It would have been helpful. :)
I was thinking you had a possible erroneous code due to an intermittent connection. Sounds like you have a solid problem. Perform a primary resistance test on the front coil vs the rear coil. They should be very close to one another. If the Front pack has a higher resistance than the rear by a large margin, you may want to install a new coil. If the resistance of each is equal, check back w/ a post.

Also check those primary connectors mentioned before.
Do you have remaining factory warranty?

Should have said that in the beginning. It would have been helpful. :)
I was thinking you had a possible erroneous code due to an intermittent connection. Sounds like you have a solid problem. Perform a primary resistance test on the front coil vs the rear coil. They should be very close to one another. If the Front pack has a higher resistance than the rear by a large margin, you may want to install a new coil. If the resistance of each is equal, check back w/ a post.

Also check those primary connectors mentioned before.
Do you have remaining factory warranty?

I have a meter, but I have never used one. I'll see what I can do.

I will check the primary connectors.

The bike was not purchased locally. If replacing the coil is just plug/unplug and cost is not prohibitative I may just replace it if that will do it.

Oh yes, still under warranty.

I'll do this tomorrow. Sorry about the xtra code.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Oh yes, still under warranty.

The reason I asked is because a P code like that can not be caused by many things. A couple of connectors, the coil, a few feet of wire and guess what,,, the ECM which contains the coil MOSFET driver.

Delphi makes very good products so the ECM is the last thing on the list. But it is a possibility.

Update:

Hoople nailed the problem. The plug was not getting enough spark from the plug wire due to corrosion.

I went by the local dealer and discussed it with the service reprsentative and he said it should be covered by warranty, so I didn't fool with it. They scheduled a pickup, kept me informed of the progress, and delivered the bike after they finished. I have to say the courteous and professional service I received from the dealership was much more than I expected--I was really pleased.

Hoople, thank you.

Update:

Hoople nailed the problem. The plug was not getting enough spark from the plug wire due to corrosion.

I went by the local dealer and discussed it with the service reprsentative and he said it should be covered by warranty, so I didn't fool with it. They scheduled a pickup, kept me informed of the progress, and delivered the bike after they finished. I have to say the courteous and professional service I received from the dealership was much more than I expected--I was really pleased.

Hoople, thank you.

I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you mentioned them here:

GOOD Dealers And Experiences - Harley Davidson Community

Back