free website stats program Neutral switch? | Harley Davidson Forums

Neutral switch?

qbert1963

Hey people, have a strange thing going on with my bike and was hoping to get some help. First off the bike is a 2002 Softail Standard, FXST. I put the chrome tranny top cover on this past fall. Don't know if that has anything to do with the problem but I wanted all the info out there. When I shift it to neutral the light comes on the dash like normal, but it also comes on in fifth gear. Took the switch off the top tranny cover to replace and wouldn't you know, no dealer in the state of CT. has one!! So I've ordered one but was wondering what everyone else thinks it could be. :bigsmiley30: Thanks.

Hey people, have a strange thing going on with my bike and was hoping to get some help. First off the bike is a 2002 Softail Standard, FXST. I put the chrome tranny top cover on this past fall. Don't know if that has anything to do with the problem but I wanted all the info out there. When I shift it to neutral the light comes on the dash like normal, but it also comes on in fifth gear. Took the switch off the top tranny cover to replace and wouldn't you know, no dealer in the state of CT. has one!! So I've ordered one but was wondering what everyone else thinks it could be. :bigsmiley30: Thanks.

When I replaced the OEM tranny on my bike with a SE 6-spd, I had a problem with the neutral light blinking or not working when the tranny started heating up and getting hot. I had to modify a combination wrench (cut down) so that I could tighten up the switch a bit. That took care of the problem. If you did not have the problem before replacing the cover, I would try adjusting the switch and see if there is a "sweet spot" where it works in neutral, but not in 5th. You should be able to do all that with the rear wheel jacked off the ground.

TQ

Back