free website stats program Need some tips and tricks.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some tips and tricks....

ridin88ci

I have my Apes, and my new cables and grips....any sage advice on how to do this swap? I am working on an 01 Roadie

The one thing I can think of is to use a string with a nut tied to the end to use to fish your wires through the bars, if your wiring is going to be internal.

Cover your tank and front fender because invariably something will get dropped on one or both.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, maybe take some pics to post. It may help the next guy.

Something about a washer in the front brake switch to keep it open so that pin does not brake off switch....:s
Do not rush and give your self alot of time and be extra careful of the wiring at the switch housings so that the harness does not get pinched......
And as Bodeen has suggested cover all body parts.

Thanks guys I will try to snap a few pics......I think this may get ugly.....been looking for a step by step and aint found it!!

I did a step by step video for that on a Dyna but I don't know where it is on here (or even if it's still on here). I use a shop vac to pull the string through, works fast. If your wires go inside the bars you'll need to disconect the pins from the connectors (under the backbone frame) and pull them out and then fish them back thru.

Here is the the youtube video of the bar install. If you need the wiring video I will have to hunt it down. My email notification doesn't work but I check back every now and again. Anyhow you can do it, it's not that hard, you just have to make sure and write down all you wire connections BEFORE you take them loose. As you notice in the video I tie all the stuff to a ceiling brace, helps keep it out of the way while you work. I removed my tank, makes it sooo much easier to work.

BarInstall - YouTube

I did a step by step video for that on a Dyna but I don't know where it is on here (or even if it's still on here). I use a shop vac to pull the string through, works fast. If your wires go inside the bars you'll need to disconect the pins from the connectors (under the backbone frame) and pull them out and then fish them back thru.

Here is the the youtube video of the bar install. If you need the wiring video I will have to hunt it down. My email notification doesn't work but I check back every now and again. Anyhow you can do it, it's not that hard, you just have to make sure and write down all you wire connections BEFORE you take them loose. As you notice in the video I tie all the stuff to a ceiling brace, helps keep it out of the way while you work. I removed my tank, makes it sooo much easier to work.

BarInstall - YouTube
Once again, another great informative video you took the time to benefit us with. I liked the Shop Vac trick to get the string through. I think i would have been racking my brains with a coat hanger! :p

Having done this job more times than I can count, I would suggest that you 1. Remove the tank, as not doing so makes this almost impossible. and 2. completely assemble everything as a unit and then install onto the bike, make your cable and electrical connections, replace the tank and off you go. Take special care when working with the hand control wiring in the switch housings.

Thanks for the video AND the extra tips.....I have about 50 more miles of gas to burn up out of the tank before I try this.....I will take some pics and post them in a seperate thread.

Back