free website stats program Need new tires | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need new tires

Keep in mind that the more grip you get out of a tire (softer) the less mileage. Conversely, the harder tire provides less grip and more mileage. A great member once said "your ride, you decide".

Yes, but if the Michelin says to expect 25000 miles out of their tire and it grips ,then that's My kind of tire.:D

I had Michelin Commanders put on My 2012 Limited.Original Dunlops lasted 27700 miles.I ride alone most of the time and weigh 160 lbs.
The Michelins are a softer tire and more pliable than the Dunlops.They are supposed get 25000 miles before worn out,according to website.I noticed that if I was in a turn and Dunlop hit a painted stripe on the road it would slide.Does not happen with the Michelins,they just grab!
Sadly I traded the 2012 for a 2014,so I have Dunlops again.
As soon as they are worn I am going back to Michelins.
If You look at new Harley's You will see Michelin on V-rods and Dynas.

That is amazing. I have to wonder what I'm doing wrong. I wore out 8 standard Dunlops in 40,000 miles. Sensible riding in tropical climate; hot or cool season mileage was similar.

Now, in America with Dunlop Elite, expect to get 12 k miles out of it.

Talked to Dunlop guy at the International Motorcycle Show yesterday. He recommends 42 psi instead of HD recommendation 38 - 40.

That is amazing. I have to wonder what I'm doing wrong. I wore out 8 standard Dunlops in 40,000 miles. Sensible riding in tropical climate; hot or cool season mileage was similar.

Now, in America with Dunlop Elite, expect to get 12 k miles out of it.

Talked to Dunlop guy at the International Motorcycle Show yesterday. He recommends 42 psi instead of HD recommendation 38 - 40.

Maybe the new frame and wider rear tire has something to do with it.

I did have a 2008 Road King and traded with original tires at 23000 miles.
I was rough on that one because I could pop the front wheel shifting into second.Race tuner and stage 1.:D
Also I am light 5'7" 160lbs.
For Me if I put 42lbs in tire it would be a rough ride.

I don't know how anybody ever gets more than 8K out of the rear and 14K out of the front. I have used Dunlop, Metzler and now Pirelli Night Dragon. I really like the Pirelli since I have a 200 rear tire and with it's low profile it has run flat sidewalls that are very ridgid. I found out because when I was in Denver on a trip to Sturgis I pulled over and noticed it was flat but still could ride on it. I was able to ride another two miles slowly to get where I needed to be. No penetrations but the valve stem nut came loose. Have 6K on rear and 6K on front now and still plenty of tread on back for at least 2-4K miles and 6-8K on front.

2006FXSTB
Zippers Ignition
S&S Super E 76 main
Knowlegy wires
Thunder Headers
Andrews 525 geared cams

Back