free website stats program Need help wireing | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help wireing

TONYC

Anybody out there know how to wire a 1982FXGW from scratch? I did all the mech part just don't know how to do the wireing. The bike was a basket case and I just redid the whole thing top to bottom but when it comes to wireing I am an IDIOT. HELP!!!!!

This one is a hard to answere not knowing your wiring ability.
These are only suggestions:
1) Gliders link is excellent.
2) Have you tried a local wrecker for a similar wiring harness?
3) There are wiring harness available on the web.
4) If you still have the old harness or parts of it you can make a duplicate of it.

Great suggestions by dangerdan.

Here's something else that may help you out rather than trying to make a harness yourself. The problem with doing that is getting the correct wire sizes for all the circuits. Here's a site (one of many) that has pre made harnesses. I would compare these against the OEM harness from the dealer. The dealer unit if available would have the correct fittings and other things that the after market may not have.

http://www.chopperscycle.com/page/VTS/PROD/40-182/19989

Thanks For The Input I'll Give It A Try. But I Was Looking For Step By Step Wire By Wire. Like I Said I Am An Idiot When It Comes To Wireing.

Thanks For The Input I'll Give It A Try. But I Was Looking For Step By Step Wire By Wire. Like I Said I Am An Idiot When It Comes To Wireing.
That said I wouldn't even try it without guidance from a Very Knowagable person. In Person!!
Even with a full wiring diagram and a step by step from the Internet, you must UNDERSTAND it before you can do it right!!
You'll be Money and time ahead if you by a plug & ride harness! :53:

Bring 'em on Gary. The more the merrier.:D

Glad to help you and others out.

Don't know if many have seen it yet but on the home page up at the top just below
Harley Davidson Community

It says:
Quick links tips forums

This is a quick link to the self help forums that is easier to navigate because it is a list rather than having to search the forum itself. Much easier to use and we can all thank Speed for this update.:worthy

Last edited:
Back