free website stats program Need help- shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help- shocks

Hi

Can anyone tell me if you need new shocks for a 2009 1200N nightster when having a passenger. The dealer told me you do not need one, just adjust your shock settings. Please help me clarify this.

thanks
:)

My opinion is; if you can't adjust the stock shocks enough to accomodate the passenger, you need a larger Harley (I would never suggest a smaller passenger). :newsmile092:

Last edited:
Add up your total weight, caution you may have to guess if a female is involved. We never ask how old they are and neverI mean never ask how much they weigh, and adjust the shocks and enjoy the ride

Hi

Can anyone tell me if you need new shocks for a 2009 1200N nightster when having a passenger. The dealer told me you do not need one, just adjust your shock settings. Please help me clarify this.

thanks
:)

The same shocks are on the 883L which I have and my dealer gave me the same advice as you - even though the owners manual says that the 883L & 1200N are for solo riding only.
Guys on this forum told me to do max pre-load on the stock shocks and, having tried it, it's just about ok but not on even slightly bumpy roads if the combined weight is 290 lbs - as we are.
If you look at the catalogue you'll find 2-up shocks for the 1200N (part no54704-07) which would be better - thats what I am getting for my ride. Anything to keep wife comfy!:D

Personally, I would look at a set of aftermarket shocks that will make the OEM shocks seem like yard sale finds. Check out Race Tech or Ricor and others that make killer suspension solutions. I prefer the Race Tech since I have used the product on several bikes over the years. All with pretty amazing results.

A good suspension will make you faster than any engine mod.

Back