free website stats program Need Bike Recommendation | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Bike Recommendation

SPORTY LADY

HI SINCE I'M IN THE STUDYING MANUAL AND LEARNING RIDE STAGES CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHAT BIKE I SHOULD LOOK FOR. I'M 5' 21/2' AND APPROX 125 -130 LBS. RIDNG EXPERIENCES LIMITED TO 30 -35 YEARS AGO AS A TEENAGER ON A HONDA 110. WE HAVE BEEN TOLD A HERITAGE SOFTAIL CUSTOM OR SOFTAIL CLASSIC SINCE BOTH CAN BE LOWERED TO 24- 25 IN HEIGHTS. WE ALREADY HAVE A SOFTAIL CLASSIC. I CAN TOUCH THE GROUND IN SITTING POSITION AND STANDING AS WELL. I'M NOT SURE OF WHAT THE HEIGHT IS ON IT AS WE BOUGHT IT USED. ANY OTHR OPINIONS. THANKS AHEAD OF TIME FOR THOUGHTS.
LADY HERITAGE

Honestly I would suggest you at least give the FLSTN "Soft Tail Deluxe"...I believe this was designed with the woman in mind. Lowest manufactured Bike..( no need to lower it)...Extremely low center of gravity....fantastic looking as well...and Good Luck to ya.:)

Do you think you can 'handle' the weight of a Heritage softail? It's a heavy bike... parking and stopping could be an issue... my wife is similar size and can't handle my 04 Heritage... she's looking more at a sportster with standard footpegs....

HI SINCE I'M IN THE STUDYING MANUAL AND LEARNING RIDE STAGES CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHAT BIKE I SHOULD LOOK FOR. I'M 5' 21/2' AND APPROX 125 -130 LBS. RIDNG EXPERIENCES LIMITED TO 30 -35 YEARS AGO AS A TEENAGER ON A HONDA 110. WE HAVE BEEN TOLD A HERITAGE SOFTAIL CUSTOM OR SOFTAIL CLASSIC SINCE BOTH CAN BE LOWERED TO 24- 25 IN HEIGHTS. WE ALREADY HAVE A SOFTAIL CLASSIC. I CAN TOUCH THE GROUND IN SITTING POSITION AND STANDING AS WELL. I'M NOT SURE OF WHAT THE HEIGHT IS ON IT AS WE BOUGHT IT USED. ANY OTHR OPINIONS. THANKS AHEAD OF TIME FOR THOUGHTS.
LADY HERITAGE

Based on your size and riding experience, I'd be hesitant to jump into any Harley right off the bat. I was off bikes for 18 years, bought a 1200 Sporty, and still felt a bit overwhelmed at times and I'm 6 feet and 230 pounds! Taking the MSF Basic Rider Course helped a bunch but there's no substitute for experience.

I know how strong the siren call of the HD world is but I'd get a used metric in the midsized range and ride it for at least 6 months. If you're totally in control of that bike and comfortable at stops and low speeds (anybody can ride in a straight line above 15MPH!) then go with the many good recommendations you'll get here.

Whatever you choose, good luck and ride safe!

Based on your size and riding experience, I'd be hesitant to jump into any Harley right off the bat. I was off bikes for 18 years, bought a 1200 Sporty, and still felt a bit overwhelmed at times and I'm 6 feet and 230 pounds!

I did just that. I'm 6' weighing 180 passed my test on a Honda 125 and went straight to a 1200 Sporty.
I can see no reason why you should start with a small or Japaneese bike first.
Even if a much lighter bike started to go over you wouldn't be able to hold it.
Just make sure that you take all the advise you can get, filter out the rubbish and familiarize yourself with the bike on a quiet morning whitout onlookers and I'm sure you'll be fine. Just do not over estimate your abilities!

LADY HERITAGE

I just bought my wife an S40 650 to start, next year I will give her my Dyna and I will buy a touring bike. The S40 is a very easy bike to gain confidence with. :kissyou

Honestly I would suggest you at least give the FLSTN "Soft Tail Deluxe"...I believe this was designed with the woman in mind. Lowest manufactured Bike..( no need to lower it)...Extremely low center of gravity....fantastic looking as well...and Good Luck to ya.:)

I agree!

You can learn to handle it. I hadn't been on a bike for 30 years and I was able to handle my Ultra fine. You should be able to handle a Deluxe with it's low center of gravity. My wife sat on a Sporty and a Deluxe and she felt much more comfortable on the Deluxe. The Sporty has a higher center of gravity and she didn't like the way it felt.

A friend of mine bought his wife a honda to start with and then a sporty.She didn't like the sporty because of the higher center of gravity, so he traded it for a deluxe and she loves it says it feels easier to ride and sets a little lower.:D

Lady Heritage, go down to your local HD dealer and try some on for size. You'll find something that fits and then do some test rides. You will know if the bike overwhelms you (none of us have anything more than a wild hunch based on our own experiences). One of my riding partners is a woman about your size and she handles a FLSTN like a pro so I'm not about to second guess your abilities.

Back