free website stats program Need Advice on Trailering | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Advice on Trailering

Sadly, I quit I quit scouting before reaching Eagle! But one of my favorite sayings is "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!" MIght explain that Tupperware container of bulbs, fuses, tape, a length of wire or two, etc that travels with me in the cage..... even used to carry a small roll of pipe hanger strapping and some bolts! *LOL* The guys used to love having me along when cruisin' with the street rods! And when my kids and I did our stint of horseshows, I can't tell you how many trailer plugs I rewired in the parking lots!
Had a buddy that used to go from one boat launch to another with his mini-van equipped with a small generator, soldering gun and lights and wire. He'd repair trailer lights while people were off boating. Supported his family quite well when the comany he moved to Florida to work for went belly up within two months of their moving!

cant say it enough repack ur bearings. or have it done by someone. better than sitting on side of road. keep front forks compressed down tight. if you use rachet straps , tie the xtra in knots behind the rachet they will losen up good luck

Regardless of the thickness of the floor of the trailer, which is usually TOO thin (1/2"),, I have found that putting a full length piece of plywood Under the bike area and screwing it down to sandwich it to the floor is a good practice.. I use a piece of plywood 5/8 or 3/4 in. thick and at-least 1 foot wide to double protect the existing floor.. Never a break-thru then!

I also like to pressure strap the front and rear of bike Down as NO bouncing around is afforded..

I like the idea of using the 16" double ended "Loop" straps,,, then "Hook" into them as to Not damage your bike..

I also have found , When backing out and down the ramp, Keep Pressure on the front wheel breaks,,,, using both feet on the ground AND(breaking) avoid a speed up and slide that can cause you to dump the bike... SLOW in and out is necessary....

Lift to the UP-position and out of the way "any pegs" that MAY cause them to hinder your leg,foot travel while backing out and down the ramp...

I also like the extra bearing and races(grease) to take along.... nothing like stealing from a wounded trailer abandoned along side of the road...

Carry a cel phone...:small3d007: Does anyone NOT carry one?

signed....BUBBIE

Back