free website stats program Need advice on riding in hot weather | Harley Davidson Forums

Need advice on riding in hot weather

Jim B.

I live in an area where the summer temperature is usally around 70 degrees. However, I'm riding to Sturgis this year and it looks like it is going to be hot, hot, hot for the whole 3,000 mile trip. I'd appreciate any suggestions for riding in high heat conditions. Thanks.

Some people seem to take the heat better then others. Me I can ride in the heat for hours on end,but when I ride with my wife she seems to dehydrate faster than I do so I make sure I have a cooler with water strapped on the tourpak.

Cover up you skin when possible and or use a real good sunblock when you are riding. Also lots of fluid, by time you think you are getting some dehydration and brain fade going on you are already to late. Have a safe ride.

I ride the deserts a lot when I am home and always carry water and gatoraid anytime i get to feeling dry I pull over a few and drink..

I find that riding with full leather jacket and full gloves while going cross country in hot weather, I avoid sun burn, wind burn, and dehyrdation. It sounds counter intuitive, but you will be no hotter while riding at 60-70 mph and will evaporate (sweat) water at a slower rate. It helps if the jacket has vents.

This approach ain't so good in the city with stop and go traffic. But on the open road, I like it.

BTW, it's been 102-104 here for the last 10 days or so.

Around central Texas you ride in the heat or don't ride much. Like others have said, stay hydrated. By the time you realize that you are too dry your brain is getting fuzzy. Not a good situation, especially on a bike. Use LOTS of sunscreen. It ain't macho but neither is looking like a lobster fresh from the pot. Better yet, wear long sleeves. I discovered that wearing a fairly loose white long-sleeved shirt is cooler than wearing a T-shirt. The thin material keeps the sun off but lets air through. Avoid dark colors. They absorb heat and hold it. I may get flamed for this, but forget the fullface helmet. I wear a police style half helmet that is mostly white. Again, the white color reflects heat where a dark colored helmet absorbs it. If you choose to go without a helmet wear something on your head. A badly sunburned scalp will really limit the fun you have in Sturgis. Hey, if you just gotta show your leathers and colors at the rally, stop about 50 miles out and put them on.

John

It was said above in other's posts but I will say it as well. Trust them and me. I know, I ride all year long in very hot conditions. Cover up your exposed skin. Lawrence of Arabia did not wear a speedo with a muscle t-shirt if you get my drift. People who ride with exposed skin will dehydrate very quickly. A benefit to the sweat under the light clothing will be it acts like an evaporative cooling system.

Drink water and cover up.

What he said. Seems like you've been given some great advice.

Several thoughts to keep you safe and hydrated. I've learned this over the course of years riding in the desert and during the hot days. First, I wear full leathers, including full finger gloves, with a long sleeve shirt that I've soaked in water and then wrung out real well. If you don't your skin will get sore. I do this every time I stop which is about every hour while I'm in the heat.

Once you're on the bike and moving down the road, the evaporation will be just enough to keep ya pretty darn cool. Second, I agree, leave the full face helmet at home, it will only get hot and believe it or not, you brain can swell causing other issues that you don't need to contend with. I use a half helmet. Third, I cover my face with a thin nylon pull over that keeps the wind/sun from my skin. And as mentioned, I drink lots of water and Gatorade to keep hydrated. Just my .02 worth and seems to work for me. The last thing you want is heat exhaustion, which is no fun at all. . . .
Ugly John

Several thoughts to keep you safe and hydrated. I've learned this over the course of years riding in the desert and during the hot days. First, I wear full leathers, including full finger gloves, with a long sleeve shirt that I've soaked in water and then wrung out real well. If you don't your skin will get sore. I do this every time I stop which is about every hour while I'm in the heat.

Once you're on the bike and moving down the road, the evaporation will be just enough to keep ya pretty darn cool. Second, I agree, leave the full face helmet at home, it will only get hot and believe it or not, you brain can swell causing other issues that you don't need to contend with. I use a half helmet. Third, I cover my face with a thin nylon pull over that keeps the wind/sun from my skin. And as mentioned, I drink lots of water and Gatorade to keep hydrated. Just my .02 worth and seems to work for me. The last thing you want is heat exhaustion, which is no fun at all. . . .
Ugly John

No fun at all is right! Had it while riding 4 years ago and the resulting confusion, nausea, etc. caused me to lose control of my bike in a slow speed turn and I ended up breaking my left leg, my left big toe and some ribs. Thus, my question about precautions against heat on my ride to Sturgis. I appreciate all the suggestions so far.

Back