free website stats program Mystery Wide Glide fork brace questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Mystery Wide Glide fork brace questions

OrovilleTim

I recently purchased a 41mm Wide Glide fork brace/truss/supporter/etc from eBay. When I went to install it, I discovered that it didn't clamp right onto the lower fork tubes as it didn't go that small. The only way it would grip, was if I put it on over the caps. Here is a picture...

brace_zps1245cff7.jpg

I figured since it gripped evenly around the caps it should be good. Not knowing what brace I had though, I wasn't sure if this was correct though as I couldn't find any instructions.

Does anyone know if this is the desired application, and/or what brand this is?

An additional question though: I noticed with most brands of fork braces that I discovered directions for it said basically just clamp that sucker on. With one brand though I saw something to the effect of loosening certain lower front end components (fender, axle) and then tightening the bracket for correct front end alignment.

I'm starting to wonder if there also isn't something to that. I installed a True-Track kit at the same time and the bike is *rock solid* and would run straight if I went hands off for some time. *But* there is this odd low-speed oscillation that feels as if it is coming from the lower front end. No force to it and not noticeable with the hands on or even a single hand on. Just noticeable if I lightly lift the hands off the grips. But, who knows... it might have always been there (front tire out of balance, etc.) Easy enough to check by ripping the bracket off though (and I do have new tire and tube for the front anyway.)

Thanks in advance!

Engineering Wide Glide 41mm Fork Trusses by Custom Cycle - TB2600-1 - This looks close

There was a sticker on it hard to decode, but I the numbers would translate out to 2600-1 so that is it. Mine doesn't have the lip on it so perhaps it is older. I paid less than $70 bucks for it and it is built like a beast. I just can't believe it won't clamp onto the lower fork body and has to go on the seals to tighten. I'll spend some more time look for instructions. It does say "all 1995-2005 FXDWG (Dyna Wide Glides)" though and mine is an 04.

Was that wobble there before? Could be as simple as a bad front tire, now that your front end is stiffer you may notice it more?

My tire is rather old and I've got a replacement for it. I'm thinking you are right in now that it is a bit stiffer I am probably just feeling something that was always there (not to mention, w/o the TT it never tracked straight enough to even entertain free hands.) I am buying a lift today (been too long without having one) and will go ahead and do the "lift, loosen axle/fender, position/tighten bracket, re-righten axle/fender" that other instructions mention. It's gotta help to not have it creating any odd geometry with existing tight parts.

Thanks!
Tim

:s Good Luck on your project, check back in to let ALL know how this works out for you. This may help other Dyna owners:s

i just checked my buddies 03 wide glide and it looks exactly the same, so i would say you got it right...

Is there a possibility that you got these instead?

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing and did some research finding the 41 & 49 are both the same width center to center, but couldn't verify the hole diameter.

But, it does seem to work when put on over the dust caps and that should accomplish the removal of outward flex. It's super beefy compared to the other ones I've seen out there so I'll keep it and give it a whirl.

It's off at the moment as I wanted to take a spin without it and just the TT on, then re-install it with a couple things on the front end loosened, then tighten it all up and go for a spin again. If I still got that goofy oscillation I'll swap out the front tire... I was just trying to hold off until Spring to squeeze as much out of the old tire as possible :)

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing and did some research finding the 41 & 49 are both the same width center to center, but couldn't verify the hole diameter.

But, it does seem to work when put on over the dust caps and that should accomplish the removal of outward flex. It's super beefy compared to the other ones I've seen out there so I'll keep it and give it a whirl.

It's off at the moment as I wanted to take a spin without it and just the TT on, then re-install it with a couple things on the front end loosened, then tighten it all up and go for a spin again. If I still got that goofy oscillation I'll swap out the front tire... I was just trying to hold off until Spring to squeeze as much out of the old tire as possible :)

Or you could just send it to me and I will see how it works on my 49MM forks................LOL

I've come to the conclusion that even though it had a sticker on it (home-made) with the part number for a Wide Glide 41mm, that it was actually/most likely for a Wide Glide 49mm. The only place it clamps securely is over the dust boots, and even then when clamped on it still has some "day-light" in a place or two.

After removing it, I did not get any more oscillation at all like I was when it was on. This was probably just confirmation that I should have loosened up the axle and fender when initially installing it. I did lift the front end of the bike with plans to attempt to install it again, but chose to not keep it on after not being able to clamp it in a manner where it was not showing any daylight (now to clean out thread-locker though.)

Anyway, end verdict is I'll take proper measurements of the inner diameter and re-eBay it to get funds for a proper one (although I doubt I'll be able to get one as awesome as this one again.) But, I do have to admit that after really putting the bike through some hard riding this AM with the True-Track on, that a fork brace at this point might just be icing on the cake because I'm rather impressed with the new "tightening" of the bikes performance after adding the TT. (No, I'm not a paid endorser :p)

Back