free website stats program My trip to CO and the loss of brakes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My trip to CO and the loss of brakes

Not to sure what the altitude would have to do with it but using the front brake more is the part of his advice I would heed, not saying replacing the fluid isn't important also.

Hey, I live in Kansas and have had my 98 Fatboy up in the mountains as well as my 06 Street Glide. Never had a brake problem..... Changing the fluid certainly won't hurt anything, but find it hard to believe altitude is the problem. Make sure you use the right fluid. One of my bikes is DOT 4 and the other is 5. Check your pads, they may be more worn than you think. Also, my 98 Fatboy (primary chain) ran out of room for manual adjustment, BUT the chain looked fine. So, I bought the Harley spring loaded adjuster, installed it and 3 years later no problems. Cheers

Great thread, reminds me I need to change out all my brake fluid and when I do I'm gonna sand the peeling black paint off the front master cylinder and polish it up nice.

Changing the fluid certainly won't hurt anything, but find it hard to believe altitude is the problem.

I agree. The only way I could see altitude having a reduction of applied brake pressure is if these bikes had a vacuum booster. And they don't so I don't buy it either.

Back