free website stats program My soap box rant | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My soap box rant

Harley will continue to charge their ridiculous prices because people keep buying the parts from them rather than taking the time to find other much less expensive sources:bigsmiley28:!

I recently put mirrors on my Ultra. HD wanted $200 for them. I got ones that looked exactly like them for $45 but they didn't have the HD logo stamped on the back of them. That is too much of a difference!

I agree that we need to support HD dealerships. Without them we won't have the service we need. The differences in the mirror prices was just to great. I couldn't justify spending 4 times as much for the same mirrors. Anyway, I've already spent enough on other parts and labor last week at my local HD dealership to help them out.

If you took a national poll of the average age of a NEW harley buyer I would be very surprised if it fell below the late 30's and more than probably older. It has little to do with available models and a lot to do with priorities and available cash. Not a lot of young people have the wherewithall to have a wife and kids and car payments and morgage and then go out and spend 20 grand on a bike. The young people i see in the dealerships are generally dreaming and looking. Most of the buyers i see have a good chunk of the house paid off and the kids out the door and are now ready to live their dream. I have been riding for 40 years and still have a bike i bought used in the 60's. I also for the first ime in my life bought one off the showroom floor last august at age 54 mostly for the reasons listed above. At least to my way of thinking they wont be able to market "new" models to young people unless they can find a way to get the price where a young couple starting out can get it in their budget.

JMO

As a young rider I feel I should add somthing to this rant. If I hadn't rescued my fxrs from a barn I wouldn't have one. The blue book value of my bike is $6425 that wouldn't be a bad price except an identical bike around here is going for like $8000 with 3 times the mileage.

As for the parts debate, I can't complain about my harley dealership. I've become rather familiar to the parts department there because the one parts guy knows that bike very well having restored one himself. Not only that when I rode it up there he ran outside to see it while saying " I think I have an emotional attachment to this bike". I didn't find the price too out of line for the service I recieved.

Question; Is the Goldwing made completely in America?......Observation; What would your stock HD look like minus the "made in Japan" Showa machine parts?:naughty

Back