free website stats program My Proposed Amendments To The "Wave" Rulebook | Harley Davidson Forums

My Proposed Amendments To The "Wave" Rulebook

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I was out most of today cruising around north Georgia and, man, were there lots of bikes out today. Because of my experiences today, I would like to propose the following two amendments to the unwritten and unofficial "Wave Rulebook" -

1) Waving at the leader of a large group of riders is sufficient to acknowledge the entire group. I passed a couple of large (25+) groups out riding and I thought either my left arm was going to fall off or I was going to end up in a ditch from riding one handed. The thing is, everyone in the group was enthusiastically waving at me so I felt like it was my duty to return the wave to every one of them. If you're riding in a large group, focus on what you're doing and let the leader wave for you. Or don't feel insulted if I don't wave back at you when you're bike number 35 out of 50!

2) Waving is unnecessary on challenging, twisty roads. I still consider myself a novice rider (2,000 miles on a Sportster and 4,000 on my current Street Glide) so any curve can present a challenge to me. However, I was riding some stuff today that would test anyone - 25MPH tight turns, limited sight distance, that kind of thing. I was amazed at how many riders still waved at me, sometimes in the middle of a curve. My god, am I that bad at this! There is no way I am taking my hand off the controls during this kind of riding. It was all I could do to give them a quick nod, which I'm not sure they noticed. Again, please don't be insulted if a 51 year old dude on a blue Street Glide doesn't return your wave on these types of roads.

End of rant for now. Am I way off base on these two items or can I get someone to second my motion?

With all the bikes on the road today, I'm looking to buy one of those plastic hands on a spring to stick to my windshield. :D

Why not try an exaggerated head nod?A bit more than just a dip of the head,but not so much that you hurt your neck muscles:naughty

Why bother to have rules or amendments to rules...

Wave if you want. Or don't wave...

If they wave back, great. If not, their loss...

If they wave back, great. If not, their loss...

Ummm.....it was an attempt at humor. Sorry if it hit you the wrong way.

Didn't pass any large groups today, but did seem to have a lot of single riders that were spaced anywhere from 3-30 seconds apart. Just far enough apart to know they were'nt together, but same thing ---left hand was off the grip more than it was on. And yea, I waved on turns, but most were open road kinda turns, not the twistys. Tracy

I rarely ride with left hand on the bars anyway... and no, I am not EVEL Kneivel!

IF you can wave safely, do so.

If not, then don't.... and I won't hold it against you!

I used to feel bad when I was coming up to an intersction, and was using BOTH hands and Both feet.... and THEN, someone would ride by and wave.... I nod (or not, if too busy).

NO big deal...

Rule 1 is be safe.
Rule 2 is ENJOY Yourself.
Rule 3 is be friendly.

Rule 1 is MOST important...

Ummm.....it was an attempt at humor. Sorry if it hit you the wrong way.

It didn't! You ended your OP with "End of rant for now. Am I way off base on these two items or can I get someone to second my motion?"

It didn't appear to be just humor. You asked and I responded....

So.. Here's friendly wave...:bigsmiley23:

And again...

If you wave back, great. If not, your loss...

Back