free website stats program My new 09 Street Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

My new 09 Street Glide

doj1975

Ok, Sunday will be 2 weeks that I've had my new bike. I am absolutely loving it. I traded a 07 Heritage for it. I am pleasantly surprised at how much better it handles than the Heritage. So far I have installed the SE Stage I air filter kit and Rush slip-ons with 2.25" baffles. I am completely happy with both. I followed Glider's advice and ordered the TFI fuel manager. It should be here today. I will post back when I get it put on. I will also post some pics soon.

I just thought about this and wanted to ask if anyone could advise me. First of all, I have about 550 miles on the bike now so it will be coming up on it's break-in oil change shortly. I was planning on running Amsoil in the engine and primary, and Amsoil Severe Gear in the tranny. A friend told me that I need to wait until I have several thousand miles on the bike before I put full synthetic in it. What are your thoghts on this? should I wait or go ahead and put it in when I do the break-in oil change? Also, can I do the break-in change myself, or does a dealer have to do it for warranty issues? And one more question. If I need to take it to a dealer for the break-in service, should I wait until after to install the TFI? Thanks in advance for advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can change to synthetic at any time. I change the first oil change at 100 miles with filter and put in the synthetic oil then. CVO bikes and many hi dollar cars come with synthetic oil from the factory. Save your receipts for the oil and filter and keep a log of what you have done.

The TFI can be put on anytime with no problems. The "voiding warranty " nonsense is the dealer talking to make more $$$. Unless they can prove that what you did caused damage to the bike, they can't do a thing.

Dealers And The Magnusson-Moss Act - Harley Davidson Community

+1 on everything the all-knowing Glider has said. Get that "break in" oil out of there NOW and get some good synthetic in there.

Nice choice of bikes, by the way! :s

Just recieved my TFI. I will be busy tonight installing. Wish me luck, I hope I get it right without too much trouble. Any tips or pointers for an easy install would be great. Thanks!

Be careful lifting the back of the ank up for additional clearance. If you lift too high it will break the plastic fitting on the fuel rail requiring replacement then. ($45)

sounds like your on the right track i think hd-s time on oil changes are to long from my work on air cooled engines

Congratulations on your new ride. The wealth of knowledge and experience on this site has good advice regarding your ride, your engine is ready for 100% synthetic oils and the breakin oil has a lot of fine machining particles that should be removed from all the holes ASAP.

Hopefully you spent your money on the one accessory that will pay for itself the first time you crack it open...the $60 service manual and follow Glider's advice...you can't go wrong with that!

Thanks for the help everybody. I got the TFI installed last night. All in all it was a fairly simple project. I started around 9pm and finished at just after 10pm. I took the bike on a short 5 - 6 mile ride. The TFI is set to the starting point in the directions and it ran pretty good. I could definately tell a difference than riding without it. Now, does anyone have any suggestions for fine tuning the unit or does the instructions for fine tuning in the directions do a good enough job? Thanks again for the tips and advice. Knowing potential problems before starting a project always helps prevent them. Frustration begins where knowledge ends.

The #2 pot can be backed off some to keep the MPG up a bit. The settings are a bit on the rich side on all of the pots and experimenting can be done to get the bike to run the best.

Back