free website stats program my mrs will not be happy yet again, thinking about it... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

my mrs will not be happy yet again, thinking about it...

I gave my wife a gift certificate of a cbt course (compulsory basic training)
and got a 125 cc motorcycle ready for her to use came as a box of bits
as the weather got colder and her enthusiasm was waining i bought a 94 sportster for her and started to personalise it for her use (i refused to make it pink so purple it was) she took a week vacation and booked herself in for more training it was cold and wet and she failed test had to wait 4 weeks for a re test 22nd DEC snow and ice passed test
now i have a sportster a softail and a Dyna had to sell her sportster to get the Dyna now all the money spent on bike parts are for her Dyna even if they are for any other bike

Brian

take her with you to the dealer man and let her see what your lookin at and how comfy it will be ;-) let her be a part of it.
when i was lookin my old lady calld me at work and said meet me in leomister you'r buyin this one lol.

HDRocks, you did not say how long you have been together, but as Dr D said you are really pushing it and he did give you some good advise. Do have your gal be involved when you take her riding, ask how she feels (don't forget to compliment her shoes...LOL) and be kind...we all know that there are times when the piper has to be paid...you do not want a balloon payment at the end or a loud pop hitting you on the side of the head! :small3d007:

Don't just buy one. I talked my wife into letting me get a bike again about nine years ago. She thought I was buying a used one. The thing I didn't tell her it was a brand new Sportster. It took many years for her to get over it. I am not sure she really is.

HDRocks, you did not say how long you have been together, but as Dr D said you are really pushing it and he did give you some good advise. Do have your gal be involved when you take her riding, ask how she feels (don't forget to compliment her shoes...LOL) and be kind...we all know that there are times when the piper has to be paid...you do not want a balloon payment at the end or a loud pop hitting you on the side of the head! :small3d007:

yah, she's been tolerating me over 20+ years :) I can see that a lot of you ride together. I know for sure she will not got for a ride. I have not been riding long enough to have someone behind my back anyway. Some ladies are just not into motocycles. They only see danger. But my mrs has other interests and I give her my full support there.

I hadn't had a bike since shortly after our first son was born (about 25 years) and I had been "laying the groundwork" for a new bike for about 3 months after being bitten by the bug again and had the finances in order. We were out for a drive and "just happened to be driving by a dealership" so I pulled in to show her the bikes I had been looking at. This particular dealer didn't have the exact machine I was set on, but he had a very similar "custom" model being prepped for delivery. I very gently asked if he, the owner, would mind if we just sat on it "to see how my wife felt sitting on the back". Although dealers generally don't permit anyone to throw a leg over a bike that they have a contract on, he graciously agreed to let us go in the back and sit on the bike. I"'m a pretty tall guy, and my wife is petite and the bike fit us perfectly. She said she was comfortable which was a very good sign. I told her that the bike I had been looking hard at was just like this only it was black. Then she said, "But I like the red one." Having been in sales all my life, I know a buying signal when I hear one, and that's all she wrote! The dealer I had been working with had the same red bike but with aftermarket pipes, engine guard, and luggage rack. By the next weekend it was in my driveway! You see, in a manner of speaking, she had picked out the bike. How could she not like it? In about 18 months, I was able to turn that red bike into the bike of my dreams, a Harley Dyna Wide Glide, but that's yet another chapter.
I guess my point is, if you can involve her in the process, somehow she may not be inclined to be upset over it later! Good luck

PS. My Wide Glide has the Tallboy seat which is a little more comfortable for the passenger. After all... It's all about her, isn't it?

Attachments

• 100_0903.jpg
    100_0903.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 9
I think everyone and every relationship is different and what works for one couple may not for another, but an easy way to think about it, is put yourself in her shoes, how would you feel if she came home with a new car, or diamond ring, or something expensive and didn't consult you, how would you feel? Most likely, that's how she feels. Harley is offering trade in for full price within a year I think. Spend the next year showing her how much you enjoy riding, talk about your experiences, take her on rides, etc. Look at bikes together, if she see's the joy you get from riding, why wouldn't she want that for you, especially if you're not loosing your investment in the sportster price. Let me share my experience, I had a 98RK, loved the bike, but it was getting up in years and mileage and I just wanted a "new one", thinking about our finances and everything else, I had a few options and one of them was another brand of motorcycles and even though it wasn't what I wanted, I was trying to convince myself I would be happy, because it was a new bike and we can afford it. Well I shared this with my wife and she was the one that convinced me to get the SG I now own, she wanted me to get the one I wanted, she wanted that happiness for me and said we'll make it work. She knows how important riding is for me, she sees it written all over my face when I return home. I just hope I can do the same for her.

Back