free website stats program My clutch will not fully engage??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

My clutch will not fully engage???

I have been known to do a wheelie or 2, but nothing tooooo crazy... When the first starter went out it was the part that engages the starter( the part that can be replaced for $35 if yo uwant to do that work), the second one went because there was a seal mising and primary oil leaked into the starter and burned it out. no idea why this one failed...

Can you give us the cam you used and if you have compression releases? Do you know the compression your motor is running? If it will do wheelies it must have some serious HP. Since you did not say can I assume that you have a manual? I think since you have tried adjusting the clutch several times it may be time to take a hard look at the cable first and than you may have to dig into the clutch itself. As for the starter there are several tips in the self help section for checking it out to see if it is the $35 part or new starter time.

I did not change the cam since they said I didn't need to with the pipes and air cleaner set up I have. They are stock for now. I have a manual that I downloaded (I need to just print he whole thing so it's easier). The starter is covered by warranty, but it's still a pain to waste time doing something that was just fixed. The shop is actually going to come pick her up and fix it for me they said, but I need the bike for Sunday.

Is there a way to adjust the cable where is comes into the primart housing at all? I see a nut there, but I think it's just to hold the bacl in place. I dont get why the clutch will be fine for a bit and then start messing up.

The only codes being thrown are for the right turn signal bulb or whatever and that was just a fluke and I cleared it.

I adjusted my clutch and cable because it was slipping like crazy and would just rev and not accelerate much. It was great for about 200miles and then today I was pulling on the clutch to put it into gear it just started slowly rolling forward. When riding I had a hard time down shifting as well. Could the clutch be shot? I tried adjusting again with no luck. I have a 2008 nightster with 11,200miles. Should I remove the whole clutch and take a look at it? I am pretty handy, but how hard of a project is it to install a new clutch? I'm good with cars, but a newbe at bikes...

I had a 2007 sportster,clutch go at about 20k basket and everything.I didn't abuse it,it just went.I had the same symptoms as you describe.

Sounds like the spring plate. It can be replaced with a steel and two fiber plates. Very common problem. Head over to XLForum and you will find lots more on this problem.

it was the spring plate... the inner clutch hub got torn up :( I posted on another thread, but will a hub/clutch from a 2003 fit my 08?

Thanks

Back