free website stats program My 2002 E Glide Classic - Oil Eater? | Harley Davidson Forums

My 2002 E Glide Classic - Oil Eater?

Tony T.

The 2002 glide Classic I recently bought with 3600 miles on it appears to be down almost a quart on oil after only about 700 miles. So far I have not been very nice to it so I could understand if that magnified the issue. Is this something normal for these engines or do I have other issues?

You have some other issues. Is the bike blowing blue smoke? Are the inside of the pipes coated with a oily carbon? are there puddles under it when you park? Are the plugs fouling out? is the air cleaner clogged with oil. just a few things to check.

I never did check to see if it was full when I bought it. But it was only down half a quart at about 300 miles. The pipes are black inside but only with exhaust. They arent slimey like that of some oil eating cars that I have had and no one riding with me has said anything about a burning oil smell. And no leaks either! Altho the other day when I was at a stop sign I swear i could smell a hint of gear oil but cant see anything.

I never did check to see if it was full when I bought it. But it was only down half a quart at about 300 miles. The pipes are black inside but only with exhaust. They arent slimey like that of some oil eating cars that I have had and no one riding with me has said anything about a burning oil smell. And no leaks either! Altho the other day when I was at a stop sign I swear i could smell a hint of gear oil but cant see anything.

Check your manual about oil level. I think I remember reading that when the oil is cold it should be about a half quart low on the stick. When it is hot it should be on the full level on the stick. So I guess you will see a swing of half of a quart on the stick depending on the temp of the engine. You experienced guys, correct me if I'm wrong.

Your right. The oil should be checked when hot for the most accurate reading.. Different bikes will check on the side stand or straight up. Check your manual to see how yours is done.

I was told by the dealer to check it when its on the kickstand...... oh well I will fill it up and keep an eye on it!

FYI...check in your owners manual for the proper position to check the oil. The newer bikes do it on the stand and some dealers shouldn't be dealers.:s

I was told by the dealer to check it when its on the kickstand...... oh well I will fill it up and keep an eye on it!

My 2006 is checked while on the kickstand. Like we've been saying, check your manual for the position and the level at the correct engine temperature.

Back