free website stats program Must be a better way to check Tranny Fluid | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Must be a better way to check Tranny Fluid

Just Me spouting off.

Once My bike is up to date (full) after oil changes.
I Don't check it every time I go out for a ride. esp. the tranny oil and chaincase oil..

?Where does the oil go in 50/200/500 mile rides? No leaks, no drips under my bike.

I've ridden for many years then I get into reading here of the Problems New Bikers have with all this checking!

Just Wiping the stick off is going to cause a shortage of oil in a lot of bikes out there.

Way Overboard, IMHO.
Think how often you check your tranny on the car? or its rear end... Any drips/leaks then Yes, Check often.

These units on HD are made to Hold Oil. Especially the newer models. The days of HD marking Its Spot are gone and if it happens today, it needs to be fixed.
If leaking It would Show and I would fix it and check it More often until fixed.. Even then, most leaks are Not going to require twice a day checking..

I got used to a visual check of my bikes and looking for a drop of oil or a loose fastener is my way, every day.

A pattern gets into play Here and "over indulgence" in Checking & Worrying, to me would spoil the ride.

Like Some say here, It is Your ride do with it what You may!

I had a drip leak on a bike from the primary outer seal area and It never needed addition of oil added. I changed it at a normal intervals and it never showed low.

Bran-New bikes getting worn-out oil check plugs and side covers screws and worried Thinking, "Oil must have gone some place" it is a 1/16 of an inch lower this time when showing full and full and full.

I check my oil weekly on the engine "Just to See".
My tranny/chaincase shows "No Drip" So "no check".
Most of the time I have Never have added oil between changes. (.)

My older bikes with 45/50 K on them still Never needed any big amount of oil so none added after normal 3,000 miles of riding.. I would check for "drips n leaks" daily before going thru the unnecessary-excessive "in and out" oil plug and primary cover off thing-e that wasn't needed for the "To often" just to see.

Now that is MY Way.. Thanks for my chance to spout off.

Now I off to check My oil, My way and Go Ride.

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,

Thank You for the reality check! I'm a recent new owner of my first Harley. Like a new parent fussing over the first baby, I tend to get "Retentive" too.

I'll try to relax a bit, haven't found my own method for pre-ride check yet. I will soon... and I'll stop worrying so much.

Just Me spouting off.

Once My bike is up to date (full) after oil changes.
I Don't check it every time I go out for a ride. esp. the tranny oil and chaincase oil..

?Where does the oil go in 50/200/500 mile rides? No leaks, no drips under my bike.

I've ridden for many years then I get into reading here of the Problems New Bikers have with all this checking!

Just Wiping the stick off is going to cause a shortage of oil in a lot of bikes out there.

Way Overboard, IMHO.
Think how often you check your tranny on the car? or its rear end... Any drips/leaks then Yes, Check often.

These units on HD are made to Hold Oil. Especially the newer models. The days of HD marking Its Spot are gone and if it happens today, it needs to be fixed.
If leaking It would Show and I would fix it and check it More often until fixed.. Even then, most leaks are Not going to require twice a day checking..

I got used to a visual check of my bikes and looking for a drop of oil or a loose fastener is my way, every day.

A pattern gets into play Here and "over indulgence" in Checking & Worrying, to me would spoil the ride.

Like Some say here, It is Your ride do with it what You may!

I had a drip leak on a bike from the primary outer seal area and It never needed addition of oil added. I changed it at a normal intervals and it never showed low.

Bran-New bikes getting worn-out oil check plugs and side covers screws and worried Thinking, "Oil must have gone some place" it is a 1/16 of an inch lower this time when showing full and full and full.

I check my oil weekly on the engine "Just to See".
My tranny/chaincase shows "No Drip" So "no check".
Most of the time I have Never have added oil between changes. (.)

My older bikes with 45/50 K on them still Never needed any big amount of oil so none added after normal 3,000 miles of riding.. I would check for "drips n leaks" daily before going thru the unnecessary-excessive "in and out" oil plug and primary cover off thing-e that wasn't needed for the "To often" just to see.

Now that is MY Way.. Thanks for my chance to spout off.

Now I off to check My oil, My way and Go Ride.

signed....BUBBIE

Excellent advice and a chuckle at the end. Makes me feel better for not checking mine daily. Thanks.

Use Redline in there and it will be easier to read (looks like Pepto) and its good stuff too. There are some replacment dipsticks out there that have a top that you can get your fingers on and then check when you want without a tool. Everyone on here is right. Not much risk of a problem unless you have a pretty bad leak.

Good luck.

Back