free website stats program multiple throttle cable breakages | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

multiple throttle cable breakages

thanks for that brian,my carb must be the early model as it attaches cables on the left of the carb as opposed to right side attachment in the file you posted.Do your cable elbows screw in at the throttle end or something different?
nick

It has been a wee while since I last had the throttle and idle cable off any of the bikes but they are stock cables as both bikes came with stock cv carbs and I replaced both of them after experiencing a lot of carb icing with stock carb
I am pretty sure that the elbows at the handlebar end of the cables screw into the housing
I did replace both cables on my dyna a few years back with aftermarket braided stainless steel covered cables that came from zodiac as she who rides the bike demanded the change as she liked the look

Brian

thanks for that brian,am currently pricing up a pair of cables through jpcycles[local dealers arent gonna see a cent due to their disinterest] hopefully once replaced, i can rest in peace so to speak! many thanks to all who chimed in,cheers,
nick.

Please keep us updated on how well it does in the future

Brian

zoob2 when you get the new cables make sure to look inside the housing to make sure that there isn't some pot metal or flashing sticking out that is abrading the cable. Just a small sharp seam in the housing could wear on the cable.

Your bike OEM CV carb had 2 cables, the replacement mikuni should also have 2 cables, make sure you swing the handle bars full left and right when making adjustments so you have NO binding
Harley Davidson Forums
Read here

Hi guys,here's an update to the cable saga. I got in touch with jpcycles who were great getting back to me and asked if i had standard bars and i replied that i had slightly wider bars than normal with no risers so they suggested a series of part #'s for the throttle and idle cables which would fit my carb. I recieved these parts 5 days later all the way to new zealand-pretty good i thought.Upon fitting these cables,i found that the throttle cable was approx 35mm too long,so i reduced it by that amount and fitted a crimped fitting with a jig i made up but the idle cable was too short by about 50mm so it took it to a local cable manufacturer who put a longer inner cable in the outer braided cable and i installed it,so now we will wait and see how it goes-really appreciate the service from you guys over there-will keep you posted on the longevity!! after this, if it still happens,i will go back to the cv oem carb.Most of my buddies have said that they wouldnt have persevered after all the breakages but i love my wheels and its my sanity restorer,nick g.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back