free website stats program Muffler Squeaks | Harley Davidson Forums

Muffler Squeaks

glider.

BOT Machine
Many of the touring bikes at one time or another will experience a squeaking coming from the rear of the bike when hitting some bumps.You'll also see that there is some play in the rubber mount where the support bracket (muffler) can move up and down a bit, this is normal.

The length of the support bracket when properly installed is about equal both in front and the rear of the support bracket where the rubber is as seen in the pics below. This also relates to the amount of the slip on muffler being adequately installed on to the head pipe enough to seal the slots in the muffler tip so there is no leakage.

Some silicone grease applied top and bottom on the bar that runs through the muffler support ( red arrows in the top pic) will usually take care of the noise.

If the squeaking problem persists after greasing them , it is usually dried out muffler support insulators and should be replaced then.

These isolators are necessary because the engine being rubber mounted moves a bit and if these isolators weren't installed, the pipes would fatigue and eventually break.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet. Just had a squeak develop last fall before putting the Ultra away for the winter. Only during the rain tho. Sounds as if this is the solution. Thinking about it as I was riding and figured this could be an area of concern. Quit raining and the squeak stopped - forgot about it. Kinda like the roof not leaking when it quits raining ...
Thanks

Sweet. Just had a squeak develop last fall before putting the Ultra away for the winter. Only during the rain tho. Sounds as if this is the solution. Thinking about it as I was riding and figured this could be an area of concern. Quit raining and the squeak stopped - forgot about it. Kinda like the roof not leaking when it quits raining ...
Thanks

Mine squeaks when it rains also. But my noise comes form the drive belt when it gets wet. i haven't posed this question yet on the forum, but the H-D shop told me that it [noise from the wet belt] was nothing to be overly concerned about. Kind of like wet rubber shoe soles on the Wal-Mart floor. That's just what they told me......
I just saw where you said it only squeaks when wet.......

I swear I didn't see this tip before.... and it is EXACTLY what I did to stop my squeak!

To make it easier, I took a bar straw (the skinny ones they use for mixed drinks), and stuck it in the grease that I have in a mason jar (I got a BIG supply of silicon grease from a guy I know).

The grease will fill the straw, which you can then slide between the bracket and the rubber isolator. Blow SLOWLY into the straw, and the grease goes right to the correct place! I then wiggle the straw a little for even coverage. After doing BOTH the top and bottom, I lightly wiggled the rubber around on the bracket... and also squeezed the rubber.

You can also LIGHTLY apply the grease all over the rubber, and LIGHTLY wipe it off, to keep it from drying out

SQUEAK is gone... and a side effect is the rubber looks brand new!

I just had to reinstall the right side muffler and instead of a squeak it's more of a rattle. It didn't do it before I removed the pipe. Any ideas?

Checked that, I shake the end of the pipe and hear the rattle in the bracket area. Right side shakes, left side is tight. Bracket is not centered though. Maybe pull the muffler back a little and try again?

Back