free website stats program MPG Question for the Techies | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

MPG Question for the Techies

The TFI only adjusts fuel and is very simple to use with no maps involved. You'll like it, easy installation too.

So it richens or leans out the fuel mixture depending on what? How does it know what to do? How does it know what pipe/air cleaner combination you have? Also, does it eliminate that annoying herky-jerky pause when you roll on the throttle? When I bought my bike stock, I remember not being able to tolerate that "delay of sorts" when I would give it gas on an exit ramp. It almost seemed like a delayed-reaction. Does it smooth that out?

So it richens or leans out the fuel mixture depending on what? How does it know what to do? How does it know what pipe/air cleaner combination you have?

Only richens it from where the stock lean map is depending on how you set the dials up.

They give you the proper settings for the dials for the various stages and you adjust from there if you need more fuel. It's not as difficult as other units and easier to work with.

Also, does it eliminate that annoying herky-jerky pause when you roll on the throttle? When I bought my bike stock, I remember not being able to tolerate that "delay of sorts" when I would give it gas on an exit ramp. It almost seemed like a delayed-reaction. Does it smooth that out?

Also- I know this is expensive- but I have had a good experience with my TMax. It's an older one than this one, but I have read good things about this AutoTune product. Thoughts? http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=588&prod=1415

Also, thanks for putting up with all these questions!! It's VERY appreciated!

Last edited:
Also, does it eliminate that annoying herky-jerky pause when you roll on the throttle? When I bought my bike stock, I remember not being able to tolerate that "delay of sorts" when I would give it gas on an exit ramp. It almost seemed like a delayed-reaction. Does it smooth that out?

Also- I know this is expensive- but I have had a good experience with my TMax. It's an older one than this one, but I have read good things about this AutoTune product. Thoughts? Product List

Also, thanks for putting up with all these questions!! It's VERY appreciated!

Don't know about the jerky thing, it shouldn't do that to begin with. The T Max is a good unit but if you have one on the bike and have a problem on the road, they shops can't work on it because of incompatibility with the diagnostic equipment. A bit pricey and still some bugs in them too, good support thou.

It's also a bit more than is needed too IMO.

The T Max is a good unit but if you have one on the bike and have a problem on the road, they shops can't work on it because of incompatibility with the diagnostic equipment. A bit pricey and still some bugs in them too, good support thou.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly- if I'm broken-down someplace and there doesn't happen to be a TMax tech close by (riiiiiiigghht), I'm pretty much screwed! I didn't think that far ahead when I bought it (I was a bit more of a noob then), but it has really treated me great, and I live less than 5 miles from the shop I bought it from. They have given me GREAT support, and really stood behind their product. It was VERY expensive, and the new one is even more expensive. I'll have to really do my homework before I make a decision. I don't like to be tinkering all the time- I ride EVERY day. My bike is my "commuter vehicle" and I don't care for the car at all, so I like a product that is kind of a "set it and forget it" kind of mentality. That's why I am considering something that auto-tunes. The TFI sounds great, but sounds like I'll still be messing with the screws quite a bit. I dunno... Lots to think about!! Hey thanks again man!!!

Marty,

Not sure what type of Touring Model you are deciding on. But I get about 39-44 mpg on my bike stock. And that's traveling at around 80-90mph for a 67mile stretch to and from work every day. I figure if I rode at average speeds I'd probably get better gas mileage however I have a lead elbow that seems to weigh down my wrist. As with any upgrade to the pipes and intake and EFI you'll see decreases in MPG.

If you are considering an '09 you may want to wait for the release of the Power Commander V. I have used PC3s on my previous two bikes and they work great. The limitation on the TFI is a stagnate adjustment to the air/fuel at all throttle positions. With the Power Commander the air/fuel can be adjusted at numerous (and i mean numerous) throttle positions which will prevent that slight lag when pushing the throttle (ie getting on the highway). I have looked at the TFI and read all the reviews, for the price difference I am going with the Power Commander, just my opinion though. If you buy through Fuelmoto they will set you up with a custom map for your particular setup (which they dyno tuned), which I wish I had known about for my last two bikes. Other than that you are looking at a $350 custom dyno map for the Power Commander. If you have to get a custom map then in that particular instance the TFI is worth the money because you can adjust the settings yourself with minimal effort. At the end of the day (i hate that phrase) you get what you pay for.

Back