free website stats program Motorcycle Adventure To California | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle Adventure To California

RT, make sure to start a new thread before or after and include pic's so we can participate.

I'll do that. I'll have my laptop and and air card so shouldn't be a problem. I'll be going down via KC .. Springfield .. Memphis .. Birmingham .. Montgomery ..
Tallahassee ...

Back probably via Tallahassee .. Montgomery .. I65 to Nashville .. Paducah ..
SE Missouri .. STL .. KC ..

Trying to cover some areas I haven't been before ..

RT

Motorcycle Adventure, Day 6

I got my dirty clothes washed last night, got some chow from a restaurant next door and crashed after making the daily post. When I woke up at 0400 something didn’t feel right with my ankle. When I put pressure on it I almost collapsed onto the floor in excruciating agony. I knew what it was; a gout attack. I have not had one in many months, but I know one when I feel one. Fortunately I brought my medicine with me. I hobbled to the motel lobby at 0600 to put some food in my stomach so I could take the pills. I attempted to pack the bike to no avail, but even if I could have packed it, I couldn’t have ridden it. I am now in la-la land from the pain pills, but the pain is tolerable if I don’t move. Any thoughts of making it to Lubbock, TX today vaporized pretty quickly. I have no option other than lay up for the day at this Best Western motel and hope I recover enough to proceed on tomorrow. I am really glad I got this decent room instead of the dump I was in on day 4. Lesson learned: staying in a dump is false economy. We don’t put peanut oil in our engines although it is cheaper.

As I write this at 0750 Sunday morning, I am continuing to force water into my system in order to flush out the evil spirits. Sometimes this gout goes away as fast as it comes on, sometimes it takes several days. We shall see which occurs this time. There is not much I can do about it either way. I called the missus to let her know the situation and she told me which non-prescription medication to take in order to avoid the effects of the prescription. As luck would have it there were two pharmacies within 100 yards of the motel. Around 1200 I put on a pair of shorts, my crocs, and hobbled toward CVS pharmacy. I picked up the medication I needed and took it right then and there. By the time I got back to the motel, I had made miraculous improvement. I also told her of severe cramps I experienced late last night in both hamstring tendons. She said although I had been drinking plenty of water I had not been able to adequately replace other nutrients that had been sweated out and that would also contribute to the onset of the gout. As of 1500 I have made significant improvement and now have the ability to walk slowly with a discernable limp. The excruciating pain however, is significantly reduced. Needless to say there are no pictures today as I have been unable to ride any. I am optimistic that my significant improvement within only a few hours will continue and by the morning I can continue the adventure.

Hope things keep improving for you so you can get going again. I hate being ill when on a trip, just sucks big time.
Safe riding.

Just started coming to this site and saw your trip......have a safe journey!!! I've made the same trip only to South Carolina...done it 4 times so far and everytime an adventure!!

Will keep tabs on your effort!! You'll like Big Sur...warning..stay out of So. Cal...it's miserable down here!!

Sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully, you will be well enough to continue on tomorrow. Best of luck, call if there is anything I can do for you.

Jake

I've been out of town on a short MC trip to the mountains for a couple of days, so I just read about your gout. I had that on a trip once and spent several days in the hospital, so I know how debilitating it is. Sounds like you and Wife has some experience with it, so maybe it won't take too long to get back on the road. It looks like you're making good progress toward the coast. On one of the posts above, they said to stay away from southern California. I agree on some of that, but if you get there, San Diego was nice. I wished we had spent a couple of days and enjoyed the area more. But that being said, the traffic in LA was BAD. Us retired guys can take our time and smell the roses. It's funny, I just got back from that trip, and just reading about yours, I wish I was with you. Good luck Pru, I'm here looking over your shoulder. Thanks for the posts.

It was good chatting with ya Sunday evening. Glad you're feeling better. Hope ya got a good start Monday, Ride safe and be careful. I know we kid about our age, but we're still young and healthy enough to enjoy these trips.

Last edited:
Back