free website stats program Motorcycle Adventure To California | Page 29 | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle Adventure To California

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. Thank you so much for leading us on such a a wonderful journey across our country. Your narratives were concise and your photos added to the experience. :s
Your journal was the first thing I read after the newspaper every day.

Your Honey-Do list must be Ginormous! :bigsmiley30:

Thanks again
Pete, aka Breeze

Day 21 is up on maddogmarrion. com. Lots of pics. Great job Maddog. Keep 'em Coming!
Your Brother-in-Law, Dave.

Dave, I would be remiss if I did not take time to thank you and your wife for the wonderful pages you have done on Mad Dogs journey.
Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
pru,

Glad to see you made it home safely after a tremendous tour. I know how good it feels to be back, and how much you will wish you were still on it in a few days. The urge never goes away, no matter how good the ride was. I look forward to reading about your next adventure, and hope you can come this way again.

Jake

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, followed you all the way. Glad your home safe and sound. You now have memories and stories to tell which will last a lifetime. I'm sure when you look at the pictures and re-read your posts it will almost be like you were there all over again. I appreciate you taking me with you.

Pru, there are those much more eloquent than I am, so I will suffice to say Thank you for your inspirational commentary throughout your ride.
Your running dialogue and pictures made us feel as if we were there with you, I will miss following your trip a great deal as will we all.
I am thankful you made it home safe and sound and hope you will have these memories for many, many years to come (even with the new ones you will no doubt create).
Take care
Bill

Welcome home Pru. Like the others have said here, thanks for the trip. Having done a similar trip a couple of times, I know how great it is to pull into the driveway at home. Although, it doesn't take long for the road to start pulling at you again. :bigsmiley30:

Jack, you were the first one to get me interested in this topic. I followed your trip first and got hooked. Thank YOU!

PRU , Thank you for all the enjoyment you gave all of us. Glad you got back safe.I'm going next summer on the same adventure you just had.

Motorcycle Adventure, Day 28, -1

I think it will take me a couple of days to get out of the routine of making my evening post. I have been home a little over 24 hours, but I feel compelled to make a few comments regarding this adventure. First, but most importantly, I cannot adequately express my appreciation and gratitude to everyone that made a comment to this thread. I read the entire thing once again this morning and it made my eyes sweat. Very few of you know me from the man in the moon, but I can’t tell you how grateful I was to read your words of encouragement while this trip was underway. As you know, this was a “lone wolf” trip and I have some regrets that I did not share it with someone that would appreciate the bounty of this country with me. For those HDT members I was able to meet along the way: Retired Jake, Jim B and Chopper, although our time together was limited, I feel as though you are as close as any family member. I have to thank my lovely bride for not squealing about how long I was gone or who is supposed to cut the grass etc. Needless to say, Dave Pettigrew, my computer wizard brother in law, made a masterpiece website documenting this adventure based on my daily posts.

If anyone on HDT is affiliated with the MoCo, let me say this: I visited numerous dealerships and they ranged from exceptional to pitiful. Carson City Harley Davidson, Carson City Nevada and D&S Harley Davidson, Medford, Oregon stand out as exceptional. I have figured out the lowest common denominator! Both owners were on the premises and took a personal interest in what was going on. I visited many dealerships housed in multi-million dollar facilities with multi-million dollars in inventory on multi million dollar pieces of prime property. I was invariably ignored. I must concede, I looked like a bum on a filthy bike loaded down with what appeared to be camping gear. As they say, don’t judge a book by its cover. I ain’t a bum and my credit card limit was unknown to them. I wanted to buy the missus a souvenir t-shirt from out west, but I declined to part with my money at the places that looked down their nose at me, doom on them!

I didn’t mention this while the trip was ongoing, because it was insignificant at the time. It is now going to be an issue and it will be interesting to see how it pans out. While going through Arkansas, I stopped at a rest area to clean the bugs off the windshield and get a drink of water. I unlocked the left saddlebag to get my water, took a drink and wetted down the micro fiber cloth I used to clean the windshield. When I went to close the lid, it wouldn’t close. After fooling with it for a while I realized the lock had malfunctioned and I couldn’t get the key in it as the slot for the protrusion on the key was half way between the two indentations in the lock. I took the locking tab off the lock in order to close the lid, but I was unable to lock the lid for the rest of the trip. Today I took the lock to my local dealer and asked for a new one. No problem, $54. I can’t get a replacement lock for just the left saddlebag, they come in pairs. I said fine, the bike is under extended warranty, order me a pair of locks. They said fine, but there is a $50 deductible and we have to install it. I said you ain’t installing it, it is a five minute job and I’m not bringing the bike in or taking the bag off and leaving it here while you do it. I paid the $54, got some S-100 cleaner, formula plus and went on my way. The lock should be here in a week. I intend to contact the Harley Davidson warranty department or marketing department. There is no reason a saddlebag lock, that has seldom been used prior to this trip, should catastrophically malfunction. There is also no reason I should have to buy two locks when only one is broken. I didn’t have to buy two tires when only one was worn out. 54 bucks, after the multiple thousands that this trip cost, is not the issue, it is the principle of the matter. If the “powers that be” at MoCo are astute, they will make note of this adventure as well as others, noting the power of free and “first hand” experience advertising. Harley Davidson prides itself on appealing to those who yearn for the open road…why not capitalize on the adventures of those who have taken a chance and fulfilled a dream. While this experience upon my return was somewhat disappointing, it does not diminish the pride in my accomplishment and the connections made along the way. Hopefully MoCo will live up to their reputation and step up and do the right thing for one of their customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorcycle Adventure, Day 28, -1

As you know, this was a “lone wolf” trip and I have some regrets that I did not share it with someone that would appreciate the bounty of this country with me. For those HDT members I was able to meet along the way: Retired Jake, Jim B and Chopper, although our time together was limited, I feel as though you are as close as any family member.

The feeling is mutual, Mad Dog. Mandy and Kory, the service and parts managers at Santa Maria Harley, also send you their best wishes and their congratulations for a trip well done. They asked me about your progress on my several visits to the dealership after your visit.

I hope we have a chance to meet again.

Mad Dog, or should I say "Lucky Dog"..lol I am envious. That trip around the US was exceptional, probably seems more so to me because of the incredible documenting.
I hope the MoCo will help you out with the locks, seems a little silly to nickle and dime such a simple fix IMHO. Luckily, that was the only issue you had on your trip other than needing to replace a worn out rear skin.

Being so far away from any stealer at all, and not being impressed with the ones that are within 6 hours, it is nice to hear there ARE good dealerships around...lol

Bill

Back