free website stats program Motorcycle Accident | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle Accident

I've been down twice. This was many years ago when I rode a Honda 550K. Both times, it was small gravel at an intersection. I would accelerate as I turned in the loose gravel and the bike would dump underneath me. All of this done at a very slow speed.

As I have said before....watch for small gravel or any gravel esp...where you are turning. I am always anxious to share these past experiences in the hope it may prevent another rider from making the mistake that I made...(twice)....
Ive been down on gravel before, left boot marks across the side and top of my fuel tank as i launched off the bike. In my case at about 45 mph.loose gravel on concrete is like riding on marbles. limping away from something like that makes ya think, and everytime you hear it or see it makes ya wonder when youll be next. ride safe and watch gravel.

This happened to me 2 years ago, I wrote this thinking, maybe it will help some people. It's kind of long, but a good read i think.

“WE WILL BE RIDING ALONE TODAY”

Several months ago my wife, a friend and myself were going on a ride. I was leading. The ride was going well and we had ridden maybe 50 or 60 miles. We stopped on top of Sugarloaf Mountain (north of Clermont, FL) for a break. There were maybe 5 or 6 bikes and riders there. We talked, joked and hung out for a little while. A guy from across the road came over to us and started talking. He was friendly and seemed knowledgeable about bikes. He told us he was on a 2006 Harley and that he rents them all the time because he travels so much and he likes to ride. He rented them in Vegas, New York,
California, all over. He talked about how his favorite bike was the V-Rod because he liked the horsepower. He said he knew it didn’t have the horsepower our bikes (I was on a 05 FJR, my wife a RC51 and our friend a Honda XX) did but he liked Harleys. I’m thinking, that’s cool, I like anyone who rides and here was a Harley rider that actually knew his bike wasn’t the fastest. To me, that’s cool because I like Harley Road Kings, for what they are. He asked where we were going. I told him around to the other side of the lake, that there were some good roads over there. He asked if he could ride along. This was the key point. I said, “Sure, that’s fine.” We got suited up and ready to go. Before we saddled up, he came over to me and said, “if we get separated, don’t worry about me, I’ll go my own way.” We started riding and the roads were fairly decent through the first part and we were running about 75 to 80. I was watching my mirrors, the group was close and all was well. We went through a little town all the bicycles go to (some of you reading this will know it, others won’t, it doesn’t matter). Again, a check in the mirror and all
was well. Then, we were closing in on a place where it gets a little tight, nothing difficult for a street racer or a typical sport bike rider, for that matter. I know the road, another key point, he didn’t know the road and I knew that. When I ride, I think everyone rides their own bike and it’s not my responsibility for what they do. As what happened continues to grow on me, I’m thinking about this differently. The turn is an uphill left. At the top, you continue to turn left, then start downhill, still turning left and then it continues into a decreasing radius, left with a small right at the bottom; maybe 40 in a car, 70 on a bike. I knew the turn, as it had almost bitten me several times. We made it through and went on to the gas station across the intersection. We pulled in and parked the bikes. When I got off, I realized the Harley rider wasn’t with us. I asked my wife and the other rider where he was and they didn’t know. At that point, I turned around and looked up at that turn and I could see cars stopping. I knew what had happened (yes, riders reading this know that sickness you feel). I told my riding partners I was going back. I arrived on the scene and he was lying in the road, maybe 70 feet from the bike, face down, arms under him, feet together. Several cars had stopped and when I pulled up next to him, he was alone; no one had gone over to him. I thought he was dead, and then when I got closer, I could see he was breathing but not conscious. Shortly thereafter, an ambulance, fire trucks, and police cars arrived, typical accident scene. He was alive and they were starting IVs, cutting off his clothes and trying to help him. They airlifted him to the closest trauma center. All was well and we went home thinking he was ok after the officer called and reported back that he was stable. A week later, I got a phone call and it was the man’s daughter. I was thinking, she had gotten my name from the police report and they (the
family) were going after the Harley rental place, but that wasn’t the case. She was very polite. She then informed me that he had passed away as a result of the accident. She asked if I knew, but I didn’t. He was a colonel in the Green Beret, a decorated Vietnam War hero, owner of his own oil company, a father, a husband, gone. Every day since then, I have thought about the accident. What could I have done? Slowed down for that turn? No. Yes. Told him there were some bad turns in the road? No. Yes. I don’t know what I could have done differently. I just know the world is short one motorcycle rider, one father, one husband, one human being.

Nitzo - that story will give you chills. You know people alway sthink what could I have done that would have changed the end result but really there isn't anything. I have always been one to say when it is your time to go, it is you time to go. No matter what you are doing or where you are. There is only one person that determines that and it is the man upstairs.

Don't dwell on these things, if you do you will never ride or never enjoy the ride. I make my living flying a EMS helicopter, 40% of our vehicle related trauma alerts are motorcycle related. Of that 40%, 90% are motorcycle vs car. When riding, never ever trust another driver, at any time, for any reason. Wear a helmet, I don't care who you are, if your head hits the pavement at 50 mph there is gonna be a soft spot. The brain behind that soft spot is now mush. (assuming it wasn't blotted up off the road and put in a baggie) The last 10% of motorcycle accidents are self inflicted stupidity. 110 mph over a bridge, lost it, hit a street light pole, what was left was in 3 pieces. I see this stuff way too often, but when my shift is over I get on my bike and ride home. Situational awareness is the key to survival, know what is going on around you at all times. Anticipate that car in front of you is going to cut you off, or pull out in front of you, know this is gonna happen and then be pleasantly suprised when it doesn't.

..... He was a colonel in the Green Beret, a decorated Vietnam War hero, owner of his own oil company, a father, a husband, gone. Every day since then, I have thought about the accident. What could I have done? Slowed down for that turn? No. Yes. Told him there were some bad turns in the road? No. Yes. I don’t know what I could have done differently. I just know the world is short one motorcycle rider, one father, one husband, one human being.

You can't save the whole world, and if it wasn't him, then it might well be another rider you travelled with. Even if you had told him to take it steady, would he have listened? Would he have hung back from you guys? Or would he have kept up, riding to what he thought was his better judgement?

You can't be everybody's father and mentor, and no matter what you tell people about how to ride, or how not to ride, most people will still go out and find it out the hard way themselves.

It is the topic around here thats for sure. Yesterday my co-worker who live north of the cities was leaving for work when he seen the Med-vac heli, he new right away what it was. A rider had split a deer in half. Condition Unknown.

We had a Man from Washington right on Hwy 90 in Southern MN and he drove right off the road. He didn't make it.

The week prior we had a head on 2 crashes and about a weeks ago we had 6 crashes to 4 where fatal.
Slow down and enjoy the ride and be aware of your surroundings.

Prayers sent to the victims & their families.

Back