free website stats program Moisture in Saddle Bags | Harley Davidson Forums

Moisture in Saddle Bags

Slapp

I noticed this past weekend that at the end of the day I have moisture in my saddlebags. Let me explain; My bike is gararge kept I leave at about 5:30am arrive at work a half hour later and when I go to load my bike there is always moister in the bag. Not a little but a lot, enough to dampen my jacket.
What do you all think? This happen to anyone else?
One more thing this only happens on my hard bags, never happens on the Mrs. Heritage.

Temperature differential and the fact that the hard bags have a seal around the lip. I've seen this with my road king also.

Are you parking by a sprinkler...?? :s

I'm also guessing it's something to do w/temp/humidity/seal.

You live in an area with naturally high humidity. Warm air holds more humidity than cool air. If you open your saddle bag when you leave work in the afternoon, it gets a big gulp of warm, humid air. Over night, the temperature drops and when it goes below the dew point, the humidity starts to condense out of the trapped air, just like moisture condenses on the side of a glass holding a cold drink. Anything inside the saddle bag gets wet. The same thing happens to your gas tank, but because the volume of air above the gas is less than the size of the saddle bag, less moisture condenses in there. If a machine sits for several weeks with a half full gas tank, there may be some water in the tank that wasn't there when the machine was parked. This is why it is preferable to store a motor vehicle with a full tank of fuel (less air volume above the fuel). Every day, as the temperature rises, the air expands and some air will squeeze out of the tank, then in the evening, as the temp goes down, the air will contract and the tank will "inhale" some new, humid air. As the temp continues to fall, the new moisture will condense and you have water in the fuel. The smaller the volume of air in the tank, the less moisture is generated with each heating and cooling cycle.

Excellent answers all of them. Leave you bags cracked open at night in the garage, should alleviate the problem.

You could also save those little dyer packets that come in shipping and put some in the bottom of your bags.

Like RWB said, but I would also buy the nylon zip up liner bags that will fit your bags cleanly, for that extra layer of protection. I use ones with handles so you can pull the entire contents out cleanly. You can find them for about $15 on up...to the HD ones made for your 'glide for about $90 new if you shop around a bit...

It is also the reason why I like leather bags, cause they breath...no problem with moisture in the bags or out as they dry quickly in the garage if I drive in the wet (don't do THAT very often here in SoCal).

Great answers by all, I was hoping to figure out how to prevent it. Guess I'll figure something out.
Just in case I do not hear from all of you have a safe and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Slapp, as fellow resident of the humid south I know all about condensation. My bike is garaged also. But here it gets cold enough to make get concrete pretty chilly by the end of January. When ever some warm moist are blows in from the Gulf condensation forms on everything metal. I built a "garage" within my garage with a small heater that keeps condensation from forming on the bike. Overkill maybe, but its 100% rust spot free.

I was hoping to figure out how to prevent it. Guess I'll figure something out.
You could always go to Wally World and pick up a couple small containers of Damp-Rid. That would keep them dried out, I'd think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk V1.12.2

There is another thread where condensation is discussed. My tip is to purchase a goldenrod from a marine supply. I use the 40/50 watt. Cover your bike and place the rod under it. I use a 2X6 to attach the rod to and keep it off the floor. I live on the gulf coast of Fl. and my bikes have no rust and my hardbags are dry. You can also go to a store that sells pianos and buy a 50 watt rod that is used to keep pianos from warping.

Back