free website stats program Mods to your cage? | Harley Davidson Forums

Mods to your cage?

ajjacobs

So the other thread (What kind of cage do you drive) got me thinking. We all love to improve our bikes, but who mods their car/trucks? If so what ya got and what have you done?

I currently got a 03 Dode Dakota with some bolt on stuff. Its a 4.7l V8 with a 70mm billet throttle body, K&N cold air intake, Gibson exhaust, and superchips tuner. Next is a gear swap (4.10 from 3.55) to get back some low end from larger tires.

Mods to an EPA regulated and inspected bi-annually vehicles is really a tough road to tow, being in SoCal. Reason why I buy the best late model used vehicle I can find, with all the trimmings built in. Then personalize with comfort and convenience mods...

On the truck, installed towing ball, wiring harness for the lights to tow trailer (plug and play), Ancra straps for the occasional load, cargo blankets, cargo bar and GPS and heavy duty AGM battery.

On the SUV, added GPS, rear vue camera, better tires (Michelin), heavy duty AGM battery, just the best I can fit, and of course only the best oils and lubes. I used to do all my own oil changes and routine stuff, but now for $21 with free, front end alignments, wheel balancing and rotations, just not worth my time (you gotta find and use a reliable local indy dealer...sound familiar?). Just so you can save money for the stuff that needs my diagnostics/experience to decide DIY or get it repaired by indy dealer).

Last edited:
We rhino-lined the bed and installed a remote starter, wind deflectors, and mud flaps on our pick-up & that will be the extent of our vehicle mods; we can barely keep up with two bikes let alone truck mods!

I have a '71 Chevy shortbed P/U. Pulled it down to a bare frame. Sandblasted it, then boxed the frame for added strength. Painted & primed. Completely redid the trailing arms but welding on reinforcement plates, then priming & painting. Have redone or replaced all front steering & suspension parts & installed. Swapped 4:10 rear end for a rebuilt 3:73 ratio. In the process now of stripping the cab & bed down to bare metal. This project has taken somewhat of a backseat since I got the FXR a year & a half ago (winter project now)

I insure my cages have enough factory installed cupholders, no mods required.:D

As much as I like working on a bike, I HATE working on a cage. Too much bending, twisting, stretching and opportunities to bang my head. Also, I have found that cages have a much larger appetite for knuckles and blood than Harley's do.

Last edited:
Back