free website stats program Mirror Stem Length Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mirror Stem Length Question

Some mirrors have a slight almost imperceptible curve in them to have wider field of view. So if you decide to change them, do both and approximate the desired angle and height. Also, if you are thinking of adding a windscreen or handle bar mounted accessories, you should consider getting them first...just so you don't have to go through this mirror thing again.

Oh yeah and I too like to see just a tiny bit of my shoulder in the mirror whilst in the normal riding position, and lean forward as I do the mirror and head checks to help guage depth perception because of habit from mirrors that have that curve I talked about earlier "Objects Appear Closer Than They Seem" statement should be on Rear Views modified as such (Tyrannosaurus from Jurassic Park is my biggest nightmare).:lolrolling

Last edited:
OK, update here- after a lot of back and forth with a very nice used HD part seller on e-bay, it turns out i already have long stem mirrors. BUT, I will say that I have the TAPERED long stems, and the tapered long stems, are shorter than older school HD long stems. The short tapered stems are REALLY short. So, in retrospect, theklanchXL1200N makes a good point, and I do think it helps seeing a bit of yourself to give proper perspective. Nothing beats actually experimenting, so after doing so, i'll stick with what i've got. Thanks to all for the posts and advice.

Get a set of mirror extenders from Kurichan, the ones that have a 30 degree (approx) in them, not the straight ones (the dealer stocks them). They are about $35 and are the cat's meow. I'm 275, 6'1' and ride a Sporty and couldn't see anything but my shoulders until I put them on. Trust me.....

Back