Mikuni vs S&S

What would you do?

• Keep the S&S super E

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Install a Mikuni 42mm

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
During the carb era I ran S&S. But a smaller model. My friends were using the 1 7/8s model, and I ran the 1 3/4 model--both with and without changing out the cam. My bike ran fine, never stumbled, and never drown at stoplights.

I did add one enhancement. At that time there was no standard choke. You had to add a lever that flipped a butterfly closed. Believe it or not some guys just put their hand over the stack.

If I had to do it all over again, based on real-world info, I would run a Mikuni. Hey don't judge me too harshly. I was 23 years old at the time and S&S was the local bad-boy.

Don't know I agree with you on that. If you're having problems with the S&S, could be time for a rebuild kit. I'm told after a while, the accelerator pumps wear.

Never ran a Mikuni, but familiar with and like CVs quite a lot. Recently rebuilt and switched to an S&S. Like it a whole lot more than I thought I would and IMO, no more difficult to set up or tune than any other. Just follow the instructions. Newer ones have an adjustable air bleed and if yours doesn't, you can upgrade.

IME, S&S has as good or better throttle response than my CVs, seems "snappier," is smooth in all RPM ranges and in transition, and the bike runs strong. I was ready for problems: difficulty dialing it in, rough transitions, all the stuff you hear - and that is not at all what I've experienced.

Unless there's something going on with your carb, I can't imagine you'll experience any performance increase or benefit. Plus - unless you're running some really big inches, the S&S teardrop a/c set up is really very good. My $.02. YMMV

I have already rebuilt the carb. The issue now is the intermediate jetting requirements seem to bounce around significantly with weather changes on my bike. Lean one day and after a front moves through it goes the other way. The changes are big enough that adjusting the idle speed, mixture and accel pump settings make it better but still not right.

After visiting with several experienced techs I seem to getting some consistent feedback.

1. I'm picky
2. I should have bought a fuel injected bike

Whatever the case may be I still love riding the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
...After visiting with several experienced techs I seem to getting some consistent feedback.

1. I'm picky
2. I should have bought a fuel injected bike

LOL!! Just saw this. Pretty funny they told you that. If it's running well, I think you're probably all right.

Back