free website stats program Michelin Commander | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Michelin Commander

yeah they have to take bags off and store them somewhere safe:D

Not sure what he meant. I was still pleased with the price, it was the cheapest I had found by far so didn't kick up a stink.

Update: I have well over 2k on these tires and have zero complaints. They are at least as good as the stock Dunlops for ride comfort. Longevity remains to be seen of course but so far no problems. I've even got use to the balck wall tires, that bothered me at first.

No complaints on mine either. Seems the tire looks narrow compared to a Dunlop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: I have well over 2k on these tires and have zero complaints. They are at least as good as the stock Dunlops for ride comfort. Longevity remains to be seen of course but so far no problems. I've even got use to the balck wall tires, that bothered me at first.

UPDATE: i have developed a slight wobble in my handlebars. Can't really feel it until after about an hour of riding when my hands get fatiqued. I don't let go of the handle bars but rather just loosen up my grip a little. I can feel the bars wanting to wobble out of my hands. Don't wanna start a debate about keeping both hands firmly on the bars, I know I have developed a bad habit and will fix it. However, I have done this for years and did not notice this wobble on my stock Dunlops. I have recently greased the neck bearings as well, using the cheapest grease I could buy at Discount. I'm concerned about this developing into something more dangerous. do you guys think my tire needs balancing or is it perhaps the neck bearings?

My question centers around their "trickier" comment, possibly suggesting they weren't familiar with the mechanics of the EGC rear wheel remove/reinstall.

I'm yet to remove the rear wheel on my '08 EGC, but know there are cams that have an adjustment process associated with the re-install of the rear wheel. Not sure what a mis-adjustment in this area may give you symptom wise, but this is an area of your bike that has been altered from a previous non-problematic operational environment. I'd probably be looking in this area first before going after steering neck bearings, and other areas.

I know there is an alignment procedure between the front and rear wheels as well. Again, involving the rear wheel that has had work performed in that area. If you do wind up getting into the rear wheel by removing, etc, you could then take the wheel back to your Indy and have the check the balance on it, just to knock that off the suspect list.

Good luck and let us know where you wind up on this -

Having an Indy remove rear wheel AND do the R&R for the tire(s) may be a bit "trickier" than chain driven bikes, but should not be difficult...see the Self Help link:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/chassis_suspension_and_front_end/4290-removing_rear_wheel.html

The deal is, if they have not done a Harley, they may have overlooked checking the rear wheel alignment afterwords by checking the rear belt "tracking" over the sprocket. One of the reasons it may be beneficial to take off the wheels and carry them in...my Indy does not charge for mounting and balancing if I carry them in and do my own wheel R & R...more work but save an extra $60 to $70.

I guess it would be possible as well to have a new defective on one of the tires that were put on and just now showing the symptoms. I'm not sure how you'd go about verifying a defective tire on a bike as have never run into this. I know on cars that have the road force tire/wheel balance machines which can assist in identifying either a defective tire or wheel.

I think if you do the r/r yoursef, I'd take the wheels to a different shop to have the balance and tire integrity checked. They would have no vested interest in giving you "they all do that" line as a smaller shop may be inclined to do, due to potential problems trying to get replacement tires and/or the possibility of having to eat the cost of the tires.

Gonna throw in my 2 cents, I'm not impressed with the Michelin Commanders, especially the wear on my front tire( 06 Softail Deuce, mh90-21). The front and rear tires were put on May 2010 with 30000 miles on the bike. The Deuce currently has 36600 miles. Previous changes for the front tires (Dunlops) at 15000 mile intervals, I'll be lucky if this Michelin lasts 10000, which i have 3400 miles before that mark and it's nearly at the wear marks already. The rear tire is wearing at about the same rate as the K591 Dunlop so I really don't see an appreciable advantage over the Dunlop. I haven't noticed any major improvement in handling with this set either. For the difference in price, they aren't worth the switch.

in Europe, the commanders are considered as the best tires for harleys...(especially dynas and sportsters)

you're right ekw06deuce, they don't last more than 15 000 km...but one can ride safer with it...

safer ride, less miles...that's the deal...

(sorry for my english...I'm french :D)

Back